General Right indicator error

Currently reading:
General Right indicator error

paulhealy

Occasionally I get RHS error with a yellow hazard warning and the right indicator ticking faster than normal. Upon checking outside the rear right indicator was working normally, the side right indicator was working normally but the front right headlight indicator was not working. Often it self corrects or an engine restart will fix it. Would this be considered to be a MOT failure? Any ideas how to fix this?

Hello,

Check the bulb connector, clean it, bend the contact spring up a little bit. You have to figure out if its only dirty, or perhaps loose. It can be that the bulb has not been inserted correctly. If the bulb is baseless, the thin connector wires tend to bend :(

It could be also the connector on the headlight or the wire, depending how it is connected. You have not given any information on the car.

The car is a Fiat Panda Wild 4x4 21 plate. So I f I apply the right indicator 50 times when moving it will probably do it once, so yes, it could be a bad connection or faulty wiring.

Occasionally I get RHS error with a yellow hazard warning and the right indicator ticking faster than normal. Upon checking outside the rear right indicator was working normally, the side right indicator was working normally but the front right headlight indicator was not working. Often it self corrects or an engine restart will fix it. Would this be considered to be a MOT failure? Any ideas how to fix this?
Rapid flashing with increased frequency of audible indicator warning is a built in function of most cars to alert to a failed bulb (as you have discovered). To answer your MOT question, yes this would be a fail if presented for test and the fault showed, they can only pass/fail what is presented on the day. Typically it would be a bad bulb or contacts in the bulb holder as suggested above. Another possibility is that there has been an accident damage repair in the past on that front corner and some wiring damage?? You could change the bulb out in case it has some intermittent issue too.

Removing the bulb and fitting it again with a better contact fixed the problem for me so no new bulb maybe it moved whilst driving over bumps in the road.

Two suggestions. Remove all three bulbs and just wipe clean the metal parts of the bulb with a coarse rag like linen, or take it to the stealer and get them to fix it. Ive had bulbs with just little more than a finger print on them that cause a poor contact. Ive also have apparently good bulbs with a fault that you couldnt see. If a trip for warranty fix isnt a going concern change all the bulbs and keep the ones you remove as spare after a good clean.

Back