General Rev limit on multijet

Currently reading:
General Rev limit on multijet

geddy1972

please can anybody help ?

I have a 57 plate 1.9 120bhp multijet and there doesn't appear to be a red area or line on the rev counter to tell me the rev limit of the engine.

does anybody know what it should be.

many thanks

thankyou very much for that helpful comment ! that's exactly what I don't want !

I wouldn't worry seriously about it.

In common with the majority of diesels, most of the power has gone by the time you're half way up the rev range, and you'd be better off cogging up another gear.

If you are concerned about over-revving it in top gear, then I'd suggest you would have other pressing worries to think about - not least of which would be your licence :)

I think your engine will kick out maximum power at 3500rpm, although other Multijets max out at 4000rpm.
I've rarely had my 1.6 over 3000rpm, even when trying hard, as it's just not worth it - I've always got another gear, as it will never get anywhere near max revs in 6th!

My (2010 model) has a field in the ECU that records if the maximum revs have been exceeded, but I don't know the figure. You can interrogate this with MultiECUScan

Mike

Hi Mike

thanks for that.

its first diesel car that I have owned, so I suppose I have been used to petrols too long.

my concern is mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear as I will be using it for towing a caravan.

theres no need to worry about my license as my co-driver (the wife!) never lets me go above 70 on the motorway anyway.

I remember from my days working in a local fiat dealership in the parts department that your cars ecu stores all the details about your driving habits and the fiat workshop computer (forgot what its called) can read them all and disclose everything !

Hi Mike

thanks for that.

its first diesel car that I have owned, so I suppose I have been used to petrols too long.

my concern is mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear as I will be using it for towing a caravan.

theres no need to worry about my license as my co-driver (the wife!) never lets me go above 70 on the motorway anyway.

I remember from my days working in a local fiat dealership in the parts department that your cars ecu stores all the details about your driving habits and the fiat workshop computer (forgot what its called) can read them all and disclose everything !

MultiECUScan for diagnostic to load on your laptop. Well worth it, and you'll need it to reset service intervals if you do your own oil changes etc.

Don't concern yourself with revs when towing a 'van, you'll go for a higher gear long before any redline approaches, if only to quieten the noisy drone from under the bonnet :D

Caravanning: The art of terrorising innocent motorists.

I'm a caravan person too, but not with the Dobby

Mike

Back