Technical Resilient Spacer issues

Currently reading:
Technical Resilient Spacer issues

Chrismunn

It is a while since fitting this and my memory is a bit foggy. I need to check the clearance around the resilient spacer as it seems to be rubbing in two locations judging by some scoring marks. I cannot recall if the removal of this means that the wheel bearing crushable spacer setup is affected. That was a bugger to set up and I don’t want to upset it again. Any comments appreciated.

When I asked this question to the people at Middle Barton Garage, I was assured that if you are just replacing the ally/rubber drive coupling you do NOT have to replace the crushable spacer, BUT, you DO have to do the nut up to the correct bearing pre-load specification:--1lb at 4.3ins (from centre of hub).

Thanks Tom. The mystery of the squeaky wheel just got deeper. I have been out for a run in it, the squeak persists when the brakes are applied so I don’t think it is related to the shoes kissing the drum, all of which were refaced. The wheel bearings are all new, and in desperation I put a light skim of grease on the outside of the aluminium flexi housing to see if that stopped it. The clearance there is only a couple of millimetres.... Nothing seems to stop it. What am I missing here? The sound is definitely related to wheel rotation, not engine revs, or whether the car is in gear or free wheeling. Sounds like the flexi drive needs to come out. Damnation.

Is the squeak just as you are slowing to a stop? I had a such a noise, and like you, found it difficult to pin-point the cause. Daft as this sounds, I checked the gear-box oillevel and found it quite low (probably from when I had fited new driveshafts)---topped the gearbox up with the correct oil (a 126 box, so Castrol 20/50)--noise stopped! No, I can't explain it, but the "as-I-am-slowing-down-to -a-stop" noise isn't there any more.
If the 2mm clearance for your couplings is consistant as you turn the drive-shaft, that is all you need.

Tom, thanks for the response. The gearbox is full of oil, topped up just before a 50 km run up the coast from Wellington. I will recheck everything again tomorrow. The noise is there with the drum off the hub, so it is not an issue with it rubbing on the backing plate. There are no signs of rubbing on the edge of the drum either, so unless it is the “ new” bearings I am stonkered. And I really don’t want to remove the aluminium / rubber couple if I can avoid it. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets oiled, but where?

Small stones or other debris can get trapped between the aluminium and the swinging-arm and create a regular noise in time with wheel rotation.

Recently, I've had an annoying issue with correctly fitted brake-shoe return springs catching the drum and giving an annoying tinny noise.

So your problem may be very simple (I hope). ;)

Today I will disassemble it in stages to hopefully reveal a very simple problem!

Are the shoes centralised on the pins of the backing plates? I have a shoe slightly off kilter and the adjuster was rubbing off the drum and causing a squeaky squeal.....

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The D doesn’t have any adjustment mechanism on the backing plate (mine, anyway) so that wasn’t it.

This morning I removed the drum after spinning the wheel with the noises, still happening. Disconnected the flexi coupling and spun it, no noise! Coupling was in good nick but I fed a cloth between it and the suspension to remove any buildup. Spins seemed a bit dry to I regreased with a very sticky chassis grease, including the small spring, reassembled at tested it. No further squeeking. I am wondering if it was the splines moving around in and out of the coupling that was doing it. Anyway, it seems to be ok.

Problem fixed, cause uncertain......

Back