Technical Fiat electrical issues?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat electrical issues?

Daniel68

Hey guys my 1968 Fiat 500 F is having problems when driving, doesn’t do it all the time, when your coming to a stop the car stalls and you have to re star it and will only say on if you hold the revs up also when start car is struggling not sure what could be wrong, and generator light is on and won’t go away I’m assuming all this is electrical issues battery is at 12volts and doesn’t drop at all even after driving with head lights on for a while any help would be appreciated thanks
img_6854-jpeg.424898

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpeg
    IMG_6854.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 195
I would start with checking for air leaks around carb and manifold area, then possible idle jet in carb, assuming engine power is all good when normal driving.
Other than that is it worse in hot weather as in fuel vapourisation?

I would start with checking for air leaks around carb and manifold area, then possible idle jet in carb, assuming engine power is all good when normal driving.
Other than that is it worse in hot weather as in fuel vapourisation?
Other day I drove for about 40 minutes it was all good then it cooled down for 6 hrs and then drove again for half hour and then it did it again

Other day I drove for about 40 minutes it was all good then it cooled down for 6 hrs and then drove again for half hour and then it did it again
I suppose depending on how hot, vaporisation of fuel more likely than dirt in the idle jet as that would be constant. I have had ignition coils and condensor's that didn't like getting hot after a run, but generally a noticable misfire and probably wouldn't want to restart if it died.
Sorry just thinking about what you mentioned re generator light, what is the output when engine running normally, my mind was wandering off down paths of high loads taken to run a charging system with issues and then onto if you had electronic ignition was the voltage dropping down so low it affected the spark etc. etc. Another off the wall thought as an apprentice in the late 1960s a friend had a tuned Mini with a "Reece Fish" carb which gave extra performance but had the habit of icing up, so it would die and then on cranking it would restart as the ice would have quickly melted from the intake side of the carb, they brought out a heater kit for them in the end. Hopefully nothing that involved.:)

I suppose depending on how hot, vaporisation of fuel more likely than dirt in the idle jet as that would be constant. I have had ignition coils and condensor's that didn't like getting hot after a run, but generally a noticable misfire and probably wouldn't want to restart if it died.
Sorry just thinking about what you mentioned re generator light, what is the output when engine running normally, my mind was wandering off down paths of high loads taken to run a charging system with issues and then onto if you had electronic ignition was the voltage dropping down so low it affected the spark etc. etc. Another off the wall thought as an apprentice in the late 1960s a friend had a tuned Mini with a "Reece Fish" carb which gave extra performance but had the habit of icing up, so it would die and then on cranking it would restart as the ice would have quickly melted from the intake side of the carb, they brought out a heater kit for them in the end. Hopefully nothing that involved.:)
Yeah not sure, battery still has 12v when on and running and even after lights are on so I’m assuming it’s still charging so not sure why generator light is on and there is a struggle starting car as well as the stalling

Yeah not sure, battery still has 12v when on and running and even after lights are on so I’m assuming it’s still charging so not sure why generator light is on and there is a struggle starting car as well as the stalling
Can you test it with a multimeter to see what battery voltage before cranking and again when revved up, ideally around 12.5 volts stationary and 13-14 volts when revved. Older dynamos around 13 volts roughly and 14 volts if you have had a alternator conversion.
If you have no multimeter a simple test with a charged battery is to start the car in the dark with headlights on against a wall etc. and rev up, you should the lights get noticeably brighter.
Charging light being on is a fault that needs fixing.

Back