General Resetting the Service interval

Currently reading:
General Resetting the Service interval

I recently found a menu option which shows the miles (and days) to go before the next service is due.. Only took me 7 months.. 😅

I don't know how the "days" is calculated... it could be 1 year from the last re-set (I'll have to get my calculator out) but the mileage is on schedule for wanting a service at 9,000 miles.

The beast is a 2022 spec' in 1.0 ltr Firefly flavour... so the service will be a dealer job... but assuming I wanted to service it myself in the future (or more likely, re-set the indicator for them, when the dealer forgets... ;) ) is there a "manual" way to do it?

I read somewhere about pressing the accelerator with the engine off, and then the braking 10 times and doing the hokey-kokey with one trouser leg rolled up etc... but that was for a 2015 model (pre-facelift) so presumably a different engine too. Is there any similar voodoo ritual that works for the new model?

Ralf S.

Well I suspect there may be some magic voodoo for many Fiats/others BUT today I doubt you will find this information revealed on-line.

Unlike the older days then dealers / Fiat make little money for a vehicle sale. Fiat's real profit I suspect is from franchised dealer network fees and the dealers from servicing etc. and not a vehicle sale. This all means that today the revenue chain is biased/supported by servicing within warranty etc. and to protect this they want you to go to a Fiat dealer for service etc. This means that voodoo options are going to be held as "Italian State Secrets".

You may ask then how is it that say SnapOn can do service resets if Fiat wanted to get you to the dealer. Simple answer is SnapOn and other manufacturers can A) not be barred from the relevant diag/control info and B) they have to pay for this information and in later models the relevant "server service" to Fiat HQ. So Fiat won't lose out but us bods get really frustrated and very angry etc.

I recently found a menu option which shows the miles (and days) to go before the next service is due.. Only took me 7 months.. 😅

I don't know how the "days" is calculated... it could be 1 year from the last re-set (I'll have to get my calculator out) but the mileage is on schedule for wanting a service at 9,000 miles.

The beast is a 2022 spec' in 1.0 ltr Firefly flavour... so the service will be a dealer job... but assuming I wanted to service it myself in the future (or more likely, re-set the indicator for them, when the dealer forgets... ;) ) is there a "manual" way to do it?

I read somewhere about pressing the accelerator with the engine off, and then the braking 10 times and doing the hokey-kokey with one trouser leg rolled up etc... but that was for a 2015 model (pre-facelift) so presumably a different engine too. Is there any similar voodoo ritual that works for the new model?

Ralf S.
Your car will be fitted with one of those sgw modules to prevent access by anything but high end equipment with a subscription to fiats servers so much diagnostic stuff won't be able to touch it unless you bypass it

Gendan sell a bypass for the SGW so I assume you can use MultiECUScan to reset the service indicator and presumably do all the other stuff it can do. I haven't used/got one (my 500X hasn't got an SGW) so I have no idea if it works but it is shown on their website.

Hmmm..

I've got a service plan, so it won't bother me until I get to the 4th service/36,000... so plenty of time to do some espionage and find out whether there's a manual method. But it sounds like the usual "boring" from the manufacturers .. :confused:

Ralf S.
Well were your 500X not a Multiair / Twinair (or diesel) then I would have suggested you do what I did on my Stilo Abarth

Fiat cars comes with 9 (or is it 10) Service Coupons. After each Service Reset a coupon/token is used. After the 9th then all the coupons are used and the car will no longer prompt for or require the Service Reset operation.

On a diesel with DPF then the oil change procedure still have to be done with a dig tool.

The the Multi/Twinair they also have an Oil Change procedure.

"This procedure will reset all the adaptive parameters of the UniAir module from the control unit after an engine oil change. Turn the key OFF and wait 60 seconds after successful execution of this procedure to let the ECU reset its internal registers."

What I conclude from this is that the engine ECU adjusts its UniAir parameters as the oil ages which would make sense if oil condition is critical the UniAir operation.

Given the above then a voodoo procedure is not going to be of any use and could lead to later problems.

Back