Technical Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

LeftyGreg

Unintentional Barchetta Owner
My B needs a new rear wheel bearing

Has anybody had experience of replacing these that can give me any tips?

Also, does it need any special tools?

Thanks

From memory it wasn't too bad a job, I followed the instructions in the service manual, part 44 Suspension - Wheels - removing refitting wheel hub when I did the whole rear axle. The one thing to be aware of is that the wheel nuts need a lot of torque, more than most standard torque wrenches will accommodate. Other thing is that the hub nut needs an appropriate sized socket, I can't remember what it was but I can take a look later.
Good luck

Thanks @Wiltshire Chris , just looked at that page and it doesn't look too bad to do, will I need a hub puller, or will it come off quite easily?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the correct torque

What I need to do now is have a look at the size of the nut to see if I have a socket big enough, get the new Wheel Bearing and do it before I take it back for the garage

It is the only thing that failed on the MOT, so I have 10 days to do it and get it back to them to save another complete MOT

will I need a hub puller, or will it come off quite easily?
I don't have one so I suspect it gave up easily :)
There doesn't seem to be any mention of the correct torque
280Nm. I'm sure I uploaded all the torque settings here once but I can't find them now.

Just found this guide which you may have already seen:

All done with plenty of time to spare

the only thing I changed from the guide was that I had a cuppa tea instead of coffee and a ciggie, gave up the figgiest when I had a heart attack in 2021

Back to MOT centre on Monday to get the ticket, then will be putting it up for sale

P.S. 280nm is crazily tight!

My B needs a new rear wheel bearing

Has anybody had experience of replacing these that can give me any tips?

Also, does it need any special tools?

Thanks
It's actually very easy. No puller, no special tools ... except .....
The hub nut is 35 mm. And not in the usual tool kit.
The problem is the space: the wall of my standard 35mm socket is too thick. My DIY garage has 1 that is ground down.
As for the torque, I use a good quality 1/2 inch ratchet-drive with a 1 meter piece of steel pipe. Longer is easier ;)
grtz
Eric

It's actually very easy. No puller, no special tools ... except .....
The hub nut is 35 mm. And not in the usual tool kit.
The problem is the space: the wall of my standard 35mm socket is too thick. My DIY garage has 1 that is ground down.
As for the torque, I use a good quality 1/2 inch ratchet-drive with a 1 meter piece of steel pipe. Longer is easier ;)
grtz
Eric
The front bearing nuts are 35mm, the rear one is 32mm

doesnt make it any easier, as when I put the wheel back on to lower it back to the ground and loosen the nuts, I could have done with n extension of about 20mm long!

The front bearing nuts are 35mm, the rear one is 32mm

doesnt make it any easier, as when I put the wheel back on to lower it back to the ground and loosen the nuts, I could have done with n extension of about 20mm long!
We're into 'easy' at my age. An extra meter of pipe does the trick ;)

Back