Technical Front Wheel Bearing Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Front Wheel Bearing Issue

Gwilllo

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just driven my B from home in Bedfordshire to Cochem in Germany via the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. Car is a 98LE which we got last year and is very much a high days and holidays car and rarely gets driven when there's rain about so mostly we're roof down. This means that not all the grumbles the car has are easily picked up as we found out after we set off the the left front wheel bearing is grinding a bit above 80kmh and moreso in left hand bends. We've done circa 700km in the car now and it hasn't gotten any worse, however we have spoken to 2 local garages here in Cochem, incl 1 main dealer who have both said they are unable to help.

A cursory Google search seems to show that replacement parts are not a problem in the UK so we will try to limp home and hope things don't get worse.

I can see that there are different parts for ABS and non-ABS cars - can someone tell me how you can definitively tell? Otherwise I will need to call a FIAT dealer when i get home I guess.

Thanks in advance, David

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just driven my B from home in Bedfordshire to Cochem in Germany via the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. Car is a 98LE which we got last year and is very much a high days and holidays car and rarely gets driven when there's rain about so mostly we're roof down. This means that not all the grumbles the car has are easily picked up as we found out after we set off the the left front wheel bearing is grinding a bit above 80kmh and moreso in left hand bends. We've done circa 700km in the car now and it hasn't gotten any worse, however we have spoken to 2 local garages here in Cochem, incl 1 main dealer who have both said they are unable to help.

A cursory Google search seems to show that replacement parts are not a problem in the UK so we will try to limp home and hope things don't get worse.

I can see that there are different parts for ABS and non-ABS cars - can someone tell me how you can definitively tell? Otherwise I will need to call a FIAT dealer when i get home I guess.

Thanks in advance, David
Hi Gwillo, you could approach your German supplier of spare parts who is excellent re B parts. They operate a multi-country and UK operation (from Berlin) at www.autodoc.co.uk They will often check against VIN before supplying spares, and they may well be able to comment on your bearing noise. I think the Berlin site is https://www.autodoc.de/ Good luck.
Geoff.

Hi Gwillo, you could approach your German supplier of spare parts who is excellent re B parts. They operate a multi-country and UK operation (from Berlin) at www.autodoc.co.uk They will often check against VIN before supplying spares, and they may well be able to comment on your bearing noise. I think the Berlin site is https://www.autodoc.de/ Good luck.
Geoff.
Thanks - i had been looking at the website so have sent them a message.

The ABS version has teeth around it for the sensor

I replaced a rear one a couple of months ago

you need an old style bendy torque wrench for the crazy torque you need to tighten it up to

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpeg
    IMG_1017.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 33
All fixed now with parts sourced from Autodoc. Thanks all. Mechanic who did the work said he'd called her a "c" at least 4 times while doing it :p

Back