Technical replacing knackered head - head gasket gone

Currently reading:
Technical replacing knackered head - head gasket gone

hello mate
are you going to have a go putting on the TB? that another way of learning and saving some money.

Mustard

hello mate
are you going to have a go putting on the TB? that another way of learning and saving some money.

Mustard

yes i'm going to have a go myself, looks like it should be do-able

i shall peruse my haynes manual this evening - if it looks frightening i may well call on some assistance

so far i'm sure that at least one of the pipes going to it will have fuel in but i'm not sure what else i'll be dealing with

i got my replacement throttle body (cheapo one off of ebay) but as there's a fiat service place about two doors down from work i'm going to get them to plug it into their diagnostic business before i do anything - it's £45 which doesn't seem too bad to me if it finds out what the fault is

If its not a leaking head gasket again, it does sound like an air leak on the inlet side, these cause havoc to the idle...

the fiat place took a look at my car yesterday and they reckon it's a problem with the inlet manifold.

they want two hours labour to take it off and have a look though so i'm going to do it myself i think.

i'm guessing there's a gasket on the engine side and some kind of gasket / connector where the throttle body sits on top of the manifold (haynes manual shows what looks like a plastic spacer? block which i guess has a gasket with it) - presumably i could just get new ones and replace both to be on the safe side

any advice on where to get these from? ebay?

do i need to buy anything else along with the gaskets, some kind of grease / gunky stuff?

I only skipped through this thread but have you made sure the pipe from the inlet to the map sensor [just by ecu] is sound? they can split easy and this will cause air to leak in under vacuum

no i haven't looked there - thanks for the suggestion

so this is a pipe that goes from the throttle body along to somewhere near the ecu - what does the map sensor look like?

bay.jpg

item 17

it has a small bore rubber pipe connected to it, pipe joins at the inlet manifold where the brake servo vac pipe is, there may be another smaller bore pipe there too, check both for splits

just to get in on the discussion, got a problem where my cinquecento is not heating up and it struggles to pull past 3k rpm, it has been using coolent but the oil doesnt seem to be contaminatented.
im lost for a ideas, dont want to thinks it the head gasket could it be anything else?

cheers

Not heating up? Top up coolant and bleed. Check that the top hose gets hot. If it doesn't, replace thermostat. If it does, but slowly, check that some moron hasn't removed the thermostat from the housing.

Try and see where the coolant is getting out. Leaking water pumps will often only show a dribble after the engine is up to operrating temperature.

The only sensible way to re-assure yourself about the HG is to get a compression test done.

thanks il check tomorrow.
yeah it takes a very long time to get up to temp, recently it doesnt get much hotter than 70c...
could that be a reason for it not wanting to rev or is that an unrelated issue?
oh just to throw it in the mix, im running a 1242 engine on the original ecu.

cheers

View attachment 70766

item 17

it has a small bore rubber pipe connected to it, pipe joins at the inlet manifold where the brake servo vac pipe is, there may be another smaller bore pipe there too, check both for splits

thanks for the diagram

i had a look and it all seems fine to me

i'm going to try and get a new gasket for the inlet manifold and see if that does anything.

if it doesn't help then i'll have to look into the throttle body end and see if i can get a new gasket for that (although the guy at the fiat place said he'd never ordered one of those before)

thanks il check tomorrow.
yeah it takes a very long time to get up to temp, recently it doesnt get much hotter than 70c...
could that be a reason for it not wanting to rev or is that an unrelated issue?
oh just to throw it in the mix, im running a 1242 engine on the original ecu.

cheers

Thermostat sounds like its missing altogether. The ECU may be thinking its hotter, worth running the meter over.

Cheers

SPD

Back