Technical replacing knackered head - head gasket gone

Currently reading:
Technical replacing knackered head - head gasket gone

your down the road from where i work...catford (infact i use to work in Deptford), if you still don't have any luck with the garage you can PM me and i will have a look.

Mustard

got my replacement breather pipe

will fit it before i drive home from work tonight

might be a silly question and my guess is that it won't be a problem but i'll ask anyway

am i going to spill much / any oil when i take this pipe off?

yeah i'm taking it back to the man on tuesday

i only replaced the breather pipe because he said it might be that and there's a fiat place up the road so i got it myself

now i know it's not that and he can't blame that it's down to him to sort it

i'm mostly updating this thread so if someone has the same problem in the future there'll (hopefully) be an answer at the end of it

As nobody has mentioned it, it could be a that the Lambda sensor
got contaminated with coolant from the blown gasket ?
I'm sure I've read somewhere that coolant can "kill" lambda's?
I would have thought that this would cause a more general "bad running" rather than an uneven idle but......

Best bet is take it back to the garage as they should be able to test it.

my man is stumped

but the auto electrician will be there next week and he can plug his diagnostic business in and will hopefully find the answer but currently it's a mystery

car is still not idling properly at all (seems to be ok when it's colder but really starts to 'throb' once it's up to temp) and more importantly it's just cutting out occasionally (like once or twice on a half hour or so drive) when i take my foot of the pedal and slow down to stop. it starts up straight away again with a turn of the key but that's much more annoying than the strange revving on idle

i'll update once the electrics man has done his thing

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Both of those will do, although it does worry me that a breakers yard doesn't know the difference between a carb and throttle body!#

EDit: You could always put a wanted ad in classified, assuming you've checked that there isn't one there already.

Cheers

SPD

i don't know the difference between a carb and a throttle body either - i thought they were different names for the same thing

i have looked in the classifieds and there is one in wales so i have asked how much he wants for postage

i have learned something today - thanks

so is it also that a carb is the older style (what i have on my old 70's car) and a throttle body is the more modern version?

Yup.
Fuel injection used to be the preserve of high performance engines, but modern emissions requirements mean that fuel has to be metered more acurately.

Cheers

SPD

Back