General replacing just the cambelt itself..

Currently reading:
General replacing just the cambelt itself..

rema-d

do you think this could be an ok option?

i really cant afford to get it all done at the moment, but reckon with the guide on here, and a camshaft locking tool, i could replace the belt itself.

do you think this would be ok for a bit? ive just spent hundreds on this car getting it going again, and untill i sell the vectra, cant afford to keep spending.

was thinknig just the belt itself. if the tensioners, or waterpump pack in, would you nitcice it before it did any damage?

i'e would it make a screaching sound, or would the engine temp get really hot and not go down, if worse came to worse

oh yeah car 2.0 20v hgt

i'm a fan of 'do it right the first time'

its just cheaper in the longrun.

if any of the other componants failed you would cause serious damage to your engine, it would probably be better to leave the current setup in place unless the belt looks to be cracking.

i only repalce the tensioner and water pump if the mileage is above 100k or if the bearing in either shows any sign of play or roughness.

when the bearings begin to fail you usually notice they become very noisey, often for thousands of miles before they fail, but they can collapse without wanring if they overheat, and it can happen silently.

once the belt is off its very easy to repalce the tensioner, and water pump, and neither part is expensive, that is why it is good practice to do them all at the same time, instead of risking several hundred pounds.

its on 75 nearly 76k. so think im gona just do the belt itself... fingers crossed hey.

and anyone whos used the cam locking tool.. does it come with instructions? and is it possible to lock the engine in the wrong position?

as the plastic needle you line the crank up with has snapped off on mine, so cant see exaclty where to line it up to.

thanks

they usually come with instructions to tell you where to fit them, and you cant get it wrong unless you remove the wrong camshaft bearing caps.

Last edited:
Back