General Replacement fuel cap

Currently reading:
General Replacement fuel cap

cubic25

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle.
I did a search, just to make sure I wasn't re-posting something. We all love how much a newbie does that.
Among all the fuel cap threads, I couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so here is goes.

My girlfriend recently purchased a 500 TA. Awesome car!
Anyway, we hate the fuel cap. Aside from being unintuitive:bang:, I am afraid of scratching the car with the keys everytime we have to undo the damn thing.
I was just wondering if there is a replacement out there that doesn't have a locking mech?
Would this one from ebay work?
(oops, it's my first post, so I can't post URL's) It is a Stant 10838 fuel cap.

Or is there a method to remove the locking mech?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: we also hate the windscreen wipers. I remember reading a thread about those, so I'll have to find the Bosch part number. Hopefully the Bosch ones won't jump across the windscreen.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome is what maxi was probably trying to say in his own inimitable way.

I personally never had a problem with the fuel cap on my previous 500s but my wife did so when we got our new one she was really pleased that it had a non locking cap as standard. Not sure which alternativeone you were referrring to in your post but hopefully you will get a positive response to this question soon.

That's a really nice looking fuel cap in that photo! Hopefully the OP will be able to order something similar as it clearly would do the job.

Anyway, despite what Maxi and others might think, the standard fuel cap on the 500 is actually quite difficult to use for some people.

My wife has hypermobile joint syndrome and she found the fuel cap a real pain to use (literally) as she had to apply pressure with one hand and then use the other hand to turn the key. This caused a lot of discomfort and pain in her wrists, so she left me to fill up almost all the time.

I can't imagine she's the only person out there who has suffered from a similar issue either, particularly given the variety of different joint conditions etc that people have. Kind of a shame the 500 hasn't moved on to the SmartFuel system in the Panda; that's been a real improvement for her.

Just learn how to unlock the cap, it's not difficult.... And don't carry 3 million keys

No, you're right. It isn't difficult, it's unintuitive and avoidable if I can get a replacement without a locking mech.
Thanks for your valuable input. /sarcasm.

Grimwau, seeing as your car came with one, maybe there is a genuine replacement part. I'll ask Fiat when we take the car in for the first service. Thanks for the pic (y)

The one I was trying to link to lists the Fiat 500 as a car that it fits, but it says US model. I am unsure if the US model has a different fuel funnel to the AUS models, therefore, the fuel cap may not fit. I'm sure it isn't different, but why would they specifically say, 'US models'?

Last edited:
My wife has hypermobile joint syndrome and she found the fuel cap a real pain to use (literally) as she had to apply pressure with one hand and then use the other hand to turn the key. This caused a lot of discomfort and pain in her wrists, so she left me to fill up almost all the time.

If I can't find a part number via Fiat, I'll purchase the one I mentioned earlier and I'll let you know if it fits. I suppose the only negative is that anyone can open the fuel cap and either siphon fuel from the car or pour whatever they want into it. It's a risk I'm willing to take to avoid using the damn thing.

No, you're right. It isn't difficult, it's unintuitive and avoidable if I can get a replacement without a locking mech.
Thanks for your valuable input. /sarcasm.

Grimwau, seeing as your car came with one, maybe there is a genuine replacement part. I'll ask Fiat when we take the car in for the first service. Thanks for the pic (y)

The one I was trying to link to lists the Fiat 500 as a car that it fits, but it says US model. I am unsure if the US model has a different fuel funnel to the AUS models, therefore, the fuel cap may not fit. I'm sure it isn't different, but why would they specifically say, 'US models'?

Sometimes my wife is unintuitive, still not going to swap her though.

Yes it's not the same as other cars, but get used to it and it's easy :)

Yup, I've got a mk3 Panda too and it's a non-locking cap, but I'd rather have a locking one for obvious reasons

I remember when I first got my 500 struggling to remove the cap, easy now but the first few times were a pain.

Was @ one petrol station & was asked for help from another 500 owner who could not get their cap off either.

:)

It really is so easy once you know how.

Hold cap
Insert key
Turn key
Turn cap
Turn key again and remove key
Hang cap on hook
Pour dinosaurs into the tank
Put key back in and unlock cap
Put cap in
Turn cap
Turn key
Remove key
Close door
Pay for dinosaurs
Drive off

It really is so easy once you know how.

Hold cap
Insert key
Turn key
Turn cap
Turn key again and remove key
Hang cap on hook
Put key back in and unlock cap
Put cap in
Turn cap
Turn key
Remove key
Close door
Pay for dinosaurs
Drive off

Why remove key in the middle bit? :confused: , just hang cap and key from hook, its far enough away from the car not to scratch.

Let me fix that for you:

It really is so easy once you remove the need to use a key.

Hold cap
Turn cap
Hang cap on hook
Put cap in
Turn cap
Close door
Pay for dinosaurs
Drive off

See how much easier that was.;)

Not really a concern for us in AUS, as our fuel prices aren't as ridiculous as yours......yet. So it isn't really a common occurrence. With that said, the car is always parked in the garage anyway. I've never had fuel taken from any other car, nor have I ever heard of anyone having fuel stolen.

Back