Technical Replacement exhaust vibrating like crazy

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement exhaust vibrating like crazy

robrad30

This is my 1st post. I've had my 02 1.2 Stilo about a year and a half now and up until last week it has been absolutely perfect, not a problem with it. That all changed last Tuesday after I left it in for a service. 1000 euro worth of work later I'm beginning to worry!
So one of the main things that needed to be done was fitting a new exhaust (the old one was fairly corroded). Now on start up there is a very loud vibrating/knocking noise which sounds as if it's coming from just beneath the gearstick console, near where the flexible pipe should be on the exhaust. Is this the new exhaust needing time to "bed down" as the mechanic said or should I be concerned. The noise is also there when accelerating at low rpm, and generally any time that the engine is under a bit of pressure. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

I'd be a bit concerned if the "knocking" continues for much longer or gets any louder. There shouldn't be any knocking from a new exhaust unless it's unsecured.
I would say that any rattling noises would be from the exhaust bedding, as you mentioned. It takes time for a decent amount of carbon to build up inside a new exhaust so that should wear off the more that you use it.

Thank you Pac Man. I will give it a little while and report back.

No problem, depending on your mileage I'd give it a couple of weeks and see if theres any difference in the noise. (y)

Last night on the way home from work I genuinely thought the exhaust was going to come off it was shaking around so badly. So I had a look under at the flexi pipe and I saw that one of the screws holding the exhaust mounts in place was missing. So either the garage didn't put one back in when they changed the exhaust, or it sheared off the minute I left the garage (which isn't that likely). So I brought it back to them this morning and got a new screw and voila, problem solved!

Back