rental contracts and the like

Currently reading:
rental contracts and the like

arc

this is where i stand
howdy.

I live in an appartment block, it's owned by a private landlord and is rented via a letting agency. When we moved in, we signed a 6-month agreement. That expires next month. What's the normal way of renewing it? Do they normally change to a 1 month rolling contract? Can the letting agency change any terms of the contract (ie rent!). I will go and speak to them, but wanted a bit of info in my head before going down.

Any advice?

Mine was a 12 month contract with a 6 month breaker clause. If you check the terms of the contract that you signed, it'll tell you what happens when the contract is up.

The thing to note is that the contract is usually there to tie you to a minimum term. At the end of my 12 months the let continues on the same terms as set out in the contract but on a monthly basis instead. The landlady cannot change my rent, I cannot do a runner there and then. It's similar to a phone contract in some ways.

The only advantage of you signing a new contract, would be to revise the monthly cost down a bit. I doubt this is worth doing at the moment though as the cost of private rent, particularly on smaller properties, has gone up a bit recently. Since I took the contract out on my flat in September, the cost of similar ones seems to have increased by about £50-£100pcm :eek: Got in at the right time I think...

Back