Technical Removing the airbox and filter and fitting a bolt on K&N

Currently reading:
Technical Removing the airbox and filter and fitting a bolt on K&N

Giuseppe78

Hi,

So I have seen some K&N air filters that bolt directly to the top of the carb with the aid of a cork gasket. Has anybody here removed the entire airbox and panel filter and gone down this route? Did you notice any diffence in pickup or running? Also would there be a need to alter the carb mixture if installing one? I own a 750 by the way.

Thanks in advance.
:)

My first Panda had a Pipercross bolt on filter but all it did was make the engine lean and suck in hot air from under the bonnet instead of cool air from the front valance.

I've never bothered with filters on Pandas since. You need to monitor and balance the air to fuel ratio and have some kind of cold air feed. Apart from making a nicer noise I doubt you'll notice any difference to be fair.

Thanks for the reply liquid knight, so it looks like it's +1 keeping the original setup then.

You can get K&N OE type replacement, they were approx. £35 last time I've seen - pretty step, but you apparently can wash them. Doubt it will last long enough to pay for it self.

Definitely not a good idea to just bolt a filter onto the carb as it'll just suck in the hot air from the engine bay. Might be worth trying to get cooler air to the existing airbox by putting some hose from it to somewhere cooler, perhaps just behind the bumper.
Honestly though as an ex 750 owner you're never going to get much power out of it, it's a fun engine to drive but certainly never going to be powerful unless you stick a turbo on it (y)

Thanks for all the replies guys, think I shall just stick with the panel filter for the time being. To be honest Didge I wasn't expecting or want any extra power gains from doing installing one, it was more an aesthetical reason :)

i have an old "top of the carb" bolt on air filter, but i have always been cautious with them.

the intakes always seem to be gritty/dusty. something you never get with the paper filter.

inside the original air filter casing, make sure the flap that changes over hot and cold air feed is working correctly ;) i just have mine jammed to cold feed all the time.

Back