Technical removing and replaceing rear window in a cing?

Currently reading:
Technical removing and replaceing rear window in a cing?

tommol

the back window has been broken and i have found a replacement at a scrap yard and its $40.00 if you take out yourself? is that a good price and how is it done. then i need to install onto mine and how is that done lol? Thanks

the back window has been broken and i have found a replacement at a scrap yard and its $40.00 if you take out yourself? is that a good price and how is it done. then i need to install onto mine and how is that done lol? Thanks

that price is OTT, are yours fixed or open windows ?

i have a pair of windows that you can open in my garage, you can have the one that is broken for free if you can collect it (telford)

EDIT: if its the rear side windows ive got but if its a rear then i havent :S

Ash

Last edited:
It is quite easy but you need to take your time and not rush. Idealy you need the tailgate on the floor with the rear wiper mechanism out. You need a soft protected surface where you can put sustained wide area pressure on the glass without any point loads or sharp objects used. I used an old bed quilt when I did mine.
Put the tailgate on the floor with the outside on the ground as though you were going to push the glass out the back of the car. Disconect the heated rear screen wires from their connectors and then wearing trainers or soft soled shoes put your foot in one of the top corners, ie where the glass is most rounded. If you imagine the tailgate on the car it would be the top left or right corner. It just makes it easier from this end of the glass. Hold the tailgate at the same point as where your foot is and pull up as you gently but firmly push down with your foot. You may not feel movement at first but keep at it and the screen will move.

When it does move change position of your foot and hand around the screen pushing out bit by bit until you can manouvre the glass by hand and pull it out.

To get it into your tailgate you will need to feed some string into the groove in the rubber going all the way around the glass and crossing them over at the top.
Make sure you put the rubber on the glass first and then into the tailgate not the rubber first cos you won't get it in. Offer up the glass to the tailgate at the top first and push as much of the rubber into the aperture as you can, you can use a wide headed flat screwdriver or tyre levers to help but be careful not to ping the glass cos it will shatter. Once you have as much of the rubber fed into the aperture as you can hold the two ends of the string with crossed arms and pull the string in opposite directions at the same time. The rubber lip should feed properly around the lip of the tailgate and seat the window perfectly.

Sounds a lot I know but once you start doing it you'll see how easy the method is.

I have a tailgate glass that you can have for free, PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
Back