Technical Removing a crankshaft pulley?

Currently reading:
Technical Removing a crankshaft pulley?

CaneyJ

Clubcento Member
The weekend before last I went down a scrappy to grab some parts I need to convert my mk2 Punto block to be compatible with my cinq head. I needed a water pipe and the crankshaft pulley.

Found an 83k cinq sporting all hacked up but had the parts I wanted. Got the water pipe off no problem but I was unable the remove the crank pulley.
Got the outer guide wheel off (3 outer bolts) but the main small notched pulley central bolt just wouldn't release.
It didn't look too badly rusted but covered it in 2 coats of penetrating oil all the same and had enough access to use a rubber mallet.

I tried putting the pulley guide wheel back on so I could stop the small notched pulley rotating with the crank by jamming a screwdriver through the guidance wheel holes and wedged it against the block but no matter how much I tugged and hammered at the central bolt I was defeated for the day :mad: .
Are these nuts WELDED in place or are they just done up to some damm ridiculous torque setting combined with some thread lock compound?

Also is there a better way of locking the crank as the screwdriver wedging method wasn’t that great as jarring the pulley often made the screwdriver fall out.
I read something about a flywheel inspection hatch and jamming something in the flywheel?

Any help appreciated as I will have to eventually have to remove the pulley from my Mk2 1242 block and my existing cinq engine and I don’t want to mash them. I take it they undo anti-clockwise?

Yes they undo anticlockwise.

I usually put a socket between the ring gear and the starter hole to allow turning of the bolt. They are FT of course.

If the starter is not already off the car you are working on, take it out.

Cheers

D

If you are using the old style Cinq water pipe at minimum put a new O ring on it when fitting to ensure that it doesn't leak, less than £1 from Fiat. Fiat have replaced this pipe now with a different design that utilises a large say 20mm broad rubber band as these thin O rings eventually leak, this whole new pipe only costs £20.

Aaron.

This is where a battery powered impact wrench is a very useful tool, they are amazingly tight to get undone. Once undone the pulley just slides off.

When I returned today the cinq was still in the scrapyard and had another go at it this time with a proper breaker bar. Still no go and ended up stripping the bolt :( .
I can't have this happen when swapping the crank pulley's so any other tips? I gave it wodges of penetrating oil but it must have been close to welded. Oh and does anybody have fiats torque setting for a crank pully bolt?

Why do you want to do it in the first place? The 1242 Punto engine was fitted with a harmonic balancer on the pulley, seems logical to me to retain it if Fiat thought it was necessary with the longer stroke crank.

Pete

Back