Technical Red steering wheel light

Currently reading:
Technical Red steering wheel light

Another day with no warning light. I’m guessing this is good news? Will update again on Tuesday when it would have been a full week since the light was last on.

It will probably be ok for ages and then BOOM! It comes on once you forgot about It, just as a reminder ;)

It will probably be ok for ages and then BOOM! It comes on once you forgot about It, just as a reminder ;)

This is what I’m hoping. If I can just get her through to March, then I would have saved up to buy a hybrid/electric car. Always this time of year that something goes wrong lol, just causes me massive anxiety. Pathetic I know lol.

You may never actually get an actual steering problem. If the steering does trip out, it goes heavy below 30 mph. There is no power assistance above 30. Stop the car, switch off, restart and it's likely to go away until next time.

You may never actually get an actual steering problem. If the steering does trip out, it goes heavy below 30 mph. There is no power assistance above 30. Stop the car, switch off, restart and it's likely to go away until next time.

are you sure this is correct

I have had the error light come on both with loss of power steering and without

I have had loss of power steering at above 30 mph and its still noticeable

for fun I have activated City mode on the motorway and yes it does still activate at higher speeds. Not sure why I mentioned this but no doubt someone will as its all over the internet that it doesn't.

I have had loss of power steering at above 30 mph and its still noticeable

:yeahthat:

It's progressive; it never cuts out entirely, unless there's a fault. You can still feel the difference if you lose power assistance at motorway speeds, although the car is completely controllable and it won't start to feel seriously heavy until you're below 10mph.

For me, loss of power assistance on the motorway doesn't justify a visit to the hard shoulder, but it's definitely a 'leave at next available exit' scenario.

There are some powerful magnets in the motor which normally provides the assistance; under some failure modes, this can give the steering a distinctly notchy feel, particularly at parking speeds.

If it's seriously on the fritz and you have to complete a significant journey, consider removing the controlling fuse. You'll be driving in full manual mode, but at least you won't have any surprises.

Last edited:

Agreed, it's not always an indication of an imminent problem. In my 130k mules of driving the panda I think I've had the red light and cut out approximately 5 times.

For me it seems to be after a long steady run with not a lot of engine revs but a high demand on the system. I.E. early morning motorway run, 50mph restriction but with lights, radio, canisters and fans on etc; get to pull up the slip road and a shock to have to wrestle the steering round a junction. Turn it the mighty panda off and on again and that's it till whenever it happens again.

When it's all working, City and Normal feel the same at speed. The power steering system is active 100% of the time but the assistance varies with speed. JRK says reduces significantly above 30mph.

JRK knows more than me on this but when mine was faulty, I could not feel any difference above 30mph. Though of course, it quickly went heavy at low speeds.

Last edited:
Fair comment. I read somewhere there is no power assistance above 30 which seemed correct because when the alternator was playing up the steering sometimes refused to wake up. We have fast dual carriageway less than a mile from home so would I put up with the steering until I exited and stopped at traffic lights. Engine restart and all was fine again.

New alternator solved the problem.

Hi all

Just to update you! A full week with no red light. So fingers crossed it continues. I’m just being sensible and ensuring I’m doing longer drives a couple of times a week, and no using any unnecessary electric.

Any other tips or advice people would give?

Hi all

Just to update you! A full week with no red light. So fingers crossed it continues. I’m just being sensible and ensuring I’m doing longer drives a couple of times a week, and no using any unnecessary electric.

Any other tips or advice people would give?

Good news !! :)

Not that Im too shocked by that ..
You are doing the right thing (y)

You want a tip ..??

This ones seasonal ..

Dont eat yellow snow :eek:

Stop worrying about your car.. ;) Charlie

Re: failed city steering/red light

hi, more problems :eek: .need advice again. . the city mode steering has failed on my mj.:mad: red steering wheel symbol lit. regular steering is fine.:confused: no dtc on my autel ms509 reader. new yuasa battery fitted:rolleyes: as always guys, thank you very much for help & suggestions:) cheers , steve (y)

Last edited:
the city mode steering has failed on my mj. red steering wheel symbol lit. regular steering is fine.

I think this might be a new failure mode; we've seen most of the other combinations. This one is particularly annoying in that the car drives normally, but won't get an MOT with the light on.

I'm assuming you've checked all the earths. Double check the battery charge; occasionally we've seen failing alternators cause EPAS glitches.

If you can buy, beg or borrow a licenced copy of MES, see if that can help you diagnose anything.

You could try giving the guys at Western Power Steering a call; they probably know more about the different failure modes than anyone, though they're too far away from you to be able to offer anything beyond a mail order service.

hi, more problems :eek: .need advice again. . the city mode steering has failed on my mj.:mad: red steering wheel symbol lit. regular steering is fine.:confused: no dtc on my autel ms509 reader. new yuasa battery fitted:rolleyes: as always guys, thank you very much for help & suggestions:) cheers , steve (y)

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour? Does sometimes cure all sorts of things and costs nothing to do.

Spike

hi, checked earth cables & battery connections after i disconnected battery for 40 mins.:eek: still exactly the same.:mad: can i delete red warning light somehow:confused:dont use city mode much anyway. cheers guys. steve (y)

Last edited:
When it happens only in City Mode, it's likely to be a connection to the steering motor. Check the heavy duty plug into the column for dirty/overheated connections.

short answer I don't know

over the last 4 years or so I haven't ever had a car fail in only city mode

most probably because I never press it.

does it come on the instant you press it, or as you turn a corner

While stationary if you raise the revs to 2K and hold them there does it come on if you press the button. With the revs still at 2K try turning the steering fully clockwise and anti clockwise a couple of times.

hi, removed steering shroud. cant find any loose plugs/cables etc.:confused: tried lock to lock steering, revs at 2k. city mode light on dash comes on soon as button pushed. :rolleyes:.still only normal steering available. would be happy if i could just get the red light off dash . cheers guys.(y)

Last edited:
Back