Technical Red Oily Liquid in Engine Bay - a problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Red Oily Liquid in Engine Bay - a problem?

Rich

Former FIAT Obsessive
Hey All

Went to check my engine oil level on my Bravo the other day (which is spot on :D), and I noticed a red oily fluid (looked a bit like Automatic Transmission Fluid) on top what I assume is the gearbox housing (right hand side of engine). There were also marks where it had got so hot it had left a pale red remnant.

Is this a problem?

I've noticed sometimes that the rev's seem to stick in Sport mode - I don't know if this is the overboost valve doing it's job, but it acts like a slipping clutch, except the car doesn't seem to loose power.

Please help! My relationship with my dealer isn't all that good at the moment so if it doesn't need to go in, it won't!

Hey All

Went to check my engine oil level on my Bravo the other day (which is spot on :D), and I noticed a red oily fluid (looked a bit like Automatic Transmission Fluid) on top what I assume is the gearbox housing (right hand side of engine). There were also marks where it had got so hot it had left a pale red remnant.

Is this a problem?

I've noticed sometimes that the rev's seem to stick in Sport mode - I don't know if this is the overboost valve doing it's job, but it acts like a slipping clutch, except the car doesn't seem to loose power.

Please help! My relationship with my dealer isn't all that good at the moment so if it doesn't need to go in, it won't!

Although as you say your relation with the dealer is that good, if i was you i would still get that checked out to be on the safe side, its still under warranty so there shouldn't be any problems with them checking it over for you to see if anything has come loose or if any hoses need checking out.

Gearbox was hot, and it's about a tablespoon or two just sat on top of the gearbox area.

Should the turbo / overboost valve thing cause a clutch-like-slipping effect?

Gearbox was hot, and it's about a tablespoon or two just sat on top of the gearbox area.

Should the turbo / overboost valve thing cause a clutch-like-slipping effect?

Far better to get it checked out while it is still under guarantee, its not worth risking that the problem might sort itself out.

Hey All

Is this a problem?

i had the same problem with you after i collected my ride for a week. was kinda worried so i send to my mech to check what's wrong. he found out that the coolant was leaking and i quickly send it back to the dealer to fix it. lucky was a minor so they managed to settle it in an hour time. since yours is still under warranty, just send your car back to the dealer.

i had the same problem with you after i collected my ride for a week. was kinda worried so i send to my mech to check what's wrong. he found out that the coolant was leaking and i quickly send it back to the dealer to fix it. lucky was a minor so they managed to settle it in an hour time. since yours is still under warranty, just send your car back to the dealer.

Exactly the same issue - is the coolant hose going into the engine block / thermostat. Apparently the FIAT hose clip isn't strong enough and it's weeping, so they're going to take it off, clean it and put a proper jubilee clip back on it.

Roll on another GP or Stilo for a day :p.

Funny enough i had a new hose and clips fitted the other day, when i took it in the other week for them to make an appointment to check out a smell i kept getting through the vents, the guy told me nothing to worry about as they had a good check of the engine, although there is a but, which i thought here we go problems, he told me there was indication of a coolant leak, so he told me they would order a new hose and clips for it which they did, sounds like it might be something they end up doing as a call back job if there are going to be signs of this in quite a few of the Bravos.

Exactly the same issue - is the coolant hose going into the engine block / thermostat. Apparently the FIAT hose clip isn't strong enough and it's weeping, so they're going to take it off, clean it and put a proper jubilee clip back on it.

Roll on another GP or Stilo for a day :p.

Just curious, did the coolant seep issue solve the "clutch slip"?

Back