RED KEY

Currently reading:
RED KEY

S

shaun

I hope some one can help me here.I've bought a 1.8hlx from a used car dealer and just found out about the red key, which the dealer told me this model didn't.Where do i stand with the dealer?

What year is your car, as IIRC, the red key was dropped after '00 models...

It's a 98 model, the dealer told me you didn't need the red key with this model,so he has took me for a c**t.

Red key until the end, Bravo never went to CODE2.

Punto, yes, Bravo, no.

If you lose your blue keys you're stuffed. Other than that the red key does very little.

Do a search,this was discussed in graet detail not long ago,cant remember the outcome though,think if theres a certain symbol on your blue key then there is meant to also be a red key.

Scotty

scotty_sig.jpg

1998 model should defo have the Red key...

Chances are you may never need to use it, but with sod's law, you'll need it in the future.

ALL Bravos no matter what year had the red key and yes the dealer has told you a porky. You've not got much to stand on if you go back and complain.

BannerX.jpg

reg.gif

So Good, Fiat Want It Back!

What advice would anyone give,shall i go back to the dealer and demand some mony back to purchase a red key or do you think i'm f@@@@d.

dont worry mate not a big issue!

i aint got a red key for my bravo eitha but.. just incase

cut another 2 blue keys just incase you lose you one.

A new red key will cost you best part of £1k!

How much did you pay for the car? At the very least they should pay for some cloned blue keys and really give you money off as the car is defective.

Read: http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/buy-a-bravo.htm

The handbook actually states.:-

"The burgundy key plus all the other keys and CODE card must be handed over to the new owner when selling the car"

I only payed 700 for the car so a new red key isn,t practical also no way i could afford it.I do have two blue keys.Why would i want him to pay fof cloned blue keys?As you can see i'm pretty clueless about all this.

Don't worry about it.if you lose ,or break one of your blue keys just have another cloned. I'm on my 3rd year with my bravo, bought with only 1 blue key, had another made for £25.

Call Consumer direct tomorrow and they will tell you your consumer rights shaun

08454 040506

dealer has misssold you the car,ie by telling you the car does not have a red key! if they are an established dealier i would go back and say you want something FOC like an mot and service if they say no just walk away saying i wonder what the local paper will make of this story?

Ratty3.jpg

OK you must have had a sense of humour to get this far. Its now gone wrong but here is a technical (ish) guide on the common ailments and what to do about them.

As said the red key is not that important unless you lose all others.
Its not very difficult to make another red key even if all the other keys are lost (£80).
If its really bothering you maybe ask the dealer for £200 and get another one made and pocket the difference.

The Red key IS important and cannot "be remade for £80" !! How can you remake a unique key with unique codes that are no longer available ??

It contains the codes for all blue keys, so if you were unfortunate enough to lose these, you would need the red key to reprogram the ECU for the replacement keys. No red key in this instance will result in you having to change all the locks on your car, which will cost IRO £1000.

This system, called CODE, was replaced with CODE2 in about 2000, after a spate of incidents involving incompetent numpties, who kept the red key on their main key fob and then lost it. I recall an hilarious Watchdog episode where some **** was bitching about FIAT after losing his red key whilst jogging, even though the Manual clearly states to not use this key (which the Watchdog people clearly pointed out to him) and keep somewhere safe. The moaning idiot complained to FIAT about the £1000 bill, to which he had to pay as no wrong had been done by FIAT. Suffice to say, FIAT changed the system to make it numpty proof.

If the dealer sold you the car without the red key, and told you it didn't need one, you have been misold and are due legal recourse.

If you never lose your blue keys, you will be ok, but it may prove harder to sell without it in the future and you face a big bill if you do lose the blues.

Sorry anonymous but you dont understand fully the key functions. I have made dozens of replicas anfd I'm sure someone would have complained by now if they did not work.
For your information:-
If you had a working red key, then you would be able to have it cloned and it would work ok, so it can be made.
The red key is just another unique numbered key, but why its a master is because it was the first key entered into the car system with a new immo and ecu.
Only the immo codebox contains all the key codes.
The ecu only holds the key code of the master key.
So if I put up here that a key can be made from the info in the codebox or the info in the ecu then I can.

would i have to send my immob off or could i just not supply codes from it? ie as i drive around in my car every day and cant afford for it to be off the road.