Technical Rearview mirror

Currently reading:
Technical Rearview mirror

Bearyboo

Hi,
My dealer said that my warning lights showing up has to do with my rearview mirror. The lights include driving mode unavailable, engine light, etc.

Is this true? I read somewhere the dealership just needs to do a reset instead. I dont see anything about replacing the rearview mirror because it is a temp sensor issue.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

By rear view mirror do you mean the outside "wing/door mirror" that looks sow the side of the car to the rear? Only checking as in the UK the rear view mirror is the central driver's cabin mirror to look out the back window.

When my mirror temperature sensor failed all I got was a bad reading on the dashboard display and the aircon system would not cool as it thought the car was already cool etc.

Do you have "lane assist" / similar? as this requires additional sensors which may be located in the wing/door mirrors.

Last edited:
Good morning. The temperature sensor on the 500x is located on the underside of the passengers side door mirror. It's a known failure point and I understand Fiat recommend changing the entire mirror body however it is possible to replace just the sensor which are available to buy on eBay. It's a fiddly task but one that is made easier by removing the mirror glass which does require an unusual degree of force. If you search the forum, you find people who have helpfully explained how to do it. I have replaced my sensor twice in 5 years.

Further to my input above, if the outside temp displayed on the dashboard is saying -- deg/C then the temperature sensor in the passenger's door mirror has almost certainly. Usually when this happens the air conditioning also stops working.

By rear view mirror do you mean the outside "wing/door mirror" that looks sow the side of the car to the rear? Only checking as in the UK the rear view mirror is the central driver's cabin mirror to look out the back window.

When my mirror temperature sensor failed all I got was a bad reading on the dashboard display and the aircon system would not cool as it thought the car was already cool etc.

Do you have "lane assist" / similar? as this requires additional sensors which may be located in the wing/door mirrors.
The rearview mirror is the main cabin mirror inside the car. The engine light turns on and the dealer said that there is a sensor on that mirror. So he told me the entire mirror needs to be replaced.

Further to my input above, if the outside temp displayed on the dashboard is saying -- deg/C then the temperature sensor in the passenger's door mirror has almost certainly. Usually when this happens the air conditioning also stops working.
Thank you. That doesn’t seem to be the problem. But good to know in the future.

Back