Technical rear glass

Currently reading:
Technical rear glass

Jonfiat

Folks,

Is it possible to remove a rear boot lid glass for reuse??

Anyone done it and how's it done if so??

Cheers

Jon(y)

Very easy to do. I find it easiest using a few flat teaspoon handles. :eek: Work your way around the edge, gently manoeuvring the the seal behind the glass. When getting to about half way i usually open the boot all the way to make sure it cant fall anywhere. (y)

Gordon Bennett!

I thought it was bonded in place!

Right, a Sunday job then...

Wish me luck

Cheers

Jon(y)

on the tailgate ???? not on my mk1 sx it hasnt

Lee

All seicentoes are bonded. I would re-check yours. The design is the same through all of the range. If you look on the inside of the glass to metal, You will see black mastick?

Last edited:
In that case to the OP...

If the glass is in that bad of condition on the abarth i would consider changing the whole boot from the donor car rather than the glass if they are the same colour

they arent too hard to cut out if they are bonded in and as long as u clean up the edges properly u can use tigerseal to bond it back in

autoglass use the same stuff to bond in windscreens

ill have a look at mine tomorrow but im confused into why it would have the rubber seal and be bonded

cheers
Lee

You can get away with using Tigerseal (etc) on rear windows, but there are special adhesives available with something like half the curing time. (Important in these lowish temperatures.) Talk to your motor factor.

Alternatively, the mobile screen fitters round here do it for 30 quid (most scrappies have a contact).

You can get away with using Tigerseal (etc) on rear windows, but there are special adhesives available with something like half the curing time. (Important in these lowish temperatures.) Talk to your motor factor.

Alternatively, the mobile screen fitters round here do it for 30 quid (most scrappies have a contact).

So there I was... flat wide scraper, taking off the badges, then I thought I'd try to remove the rear boot glass.

'Tis indeed bonded in place, just like I thought it was - Bugger!!

Has anyone succeeded in cutting a rear screen out??

Like the idea of a glass company doing it for £30... anyone know of a glass fitter in Worcester that might??

Cheers

Jon.(y)

Back