Technical Rear disc replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Rear disc replacement

For a while I've been planning on changing all the discs and pads on my 500 as they were getting low, though still above the recommended minimum.
On Tuesday I started on the passenger rear disc. I released the caliper and set about removing the stub axle to allow access to the caliper mounting bracket. The nuts securing it were too tight to loosen with a breaker bar so I had to remove the rear shock to allow access for my electric impact driver but they came off okay in the end. The final problem was the ABS pickup which wouldn't come away from the backplate. I decided to give up and just clean and lubricate everything and put it back together!
I planned yesterday to clean and lube the driver's side rear to keep everything balanced. I took off the caliper and one of the pads fell apart, time for another change of plan! In a flash of inspiration I realised that I could leave the ABS sensor in place and just disconnect the wire where it joins the body, allowing removal of the stub axle, I'm on a roll now, I thought. With the wire disconnected I set to the stub axle, the first nut came off no problem, the other three just wouldn't shift despite liberal application of penetrating oil. Time for another change of plan, I cleaned everything, put the new pads in and bolted it all back together then jacked up the passenger side and stuck the new pads in that too, even though by then it had started to snow!
So I now have new pads on discs 9.8mm thick, I think I'll leave it for a few weeks before trying again, applying Plus Gas on a regular basis to try and free off the nuts. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422528089.420041.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422528124.373616.jpg

I did think about leaving it for the garage to do but I don't think anywhere near me knows what a torque wrench is for, they use air tools for removing and refitting every nut and bolt. I quite like working on brakes then I know the job's done properly, strange as it sounds.
The use of air tools is possibly why I can't undo the stub axle nuts, I had the wheel bearing replaced on that side under warranty.

Last edited:
Back