Rear brakes... what do i do? :(

Currently reading:
Rear brakes... what do i do? :(

Drums or discs on rear?

  • Discs whey! cost more but look better

    Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Rebuilt Drums, aint broke dont fix it, cheaper prob.

    Votes: 11 39.3%

  • Total voters
    28

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
What you guys reckon? follow through with my UT rear disc conversion (going to be ripped off big time getting the bits :()

or just completely rebuild the rear brake drums (new everything!)

what you guys think? (y)
 
Joined
Dec 28, 2005
Messages
569
Location
Maidstone
Go for disks. Ive dont two cinq rear disk conversions now and its not that expensive and you will only wish you had done it later on anyway.
 
OP
OP
GhostWKD

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Have dropped you pm buddy (y)

Its more because of the fact im struggling to find parts and out of fustration i just want to get drums again :(

yet to sort out that brake union too,

Just imagained getting the parts would be alot easier/cheaper than it is :(

and lack of cash doesnt help either :eek:
 
OP
OP
GhostWKD

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
not really dave, im worried if i pay silly high price for axle (£130 + p&p!) then i'll get nowhere with it and give in and go drums anyway :( :cry:

madly trying to find another source of calipers etc before i say no to the guy as i'd rather pay more and get it all done, but prob got a max of £200 budget on this fix :(
 

PNL

Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
17,870
Location
In my house
GhostWKD said:
Have dropped you pm buddy (y)

Its more because of the fact im struggling to find parts and out of fustration i just want to get drums again :(

yet to sort out that brake union too,

Just imagained getting the parts would be alot easier/cheaper than it is :(

and lack of cash doesnt help either :eek:

Should have kept your money and not bought those Hoses :) disk conversion is good Alex but if its gona cause you aggro and greaf :cry: im sure you dont need it Mate (y)
 

PNL

Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
17,870
Location
In my house
GhostWKD said:
already got aggro and greif :(

if i dont do discs in fairness i'll just regret it down the line lol :p


Put the shoes and drums back on and buy a STILO (y) :slayer:
 

steve1219

The Older Modder
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
2,831
Location
South Wales
PNL said:
Put the shoes and drums back on and buy a STILO (y) :slayer:

If the car wasn't so tidy:cool: I would of said get a Punto:p

Keep at it it will be alright on the night. (y) :slayer:

Steve
 

HP

I was only doing 80...
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
13,429
Location
North East
Do you need discs on the back of a cinq?

There's next to no weight on there anyway, and when you brake hard you transfer most of it to the front.

Drums wear, and it isn't always obvious to see. If you put new shoes, drums, cylinders, backplates, linkages and cable on you can lock 'em up at will and do all sorts of irresponsible things!

Makes a big difference to overall braking too, if the rears work properly.
 

PNL

Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
17,870
Location
In my house
fixitagaintomorrow said:
Do you need discs on the back of a cinq?

There's next to no weight on there anyway, and when you brake hard you transfer most of it to the front.

Drums wear, and it isn't always obvious to see. If you put new shoes, drums, cylinders, backplates, linkages and cable on you can lock 'em up at will and do all sorts of irresponsible things!

Makes a big difference to overall braking too, if the rears work properly.

Well said that man (y) [must keep on the right side of pete cos hes a power crazed boss ]:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :D
 
OP
OP
GhostWKD

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
my only concern is that i will pay a silly price for the rear axle off this UT and then decide to give up and do drums again, cant afford to lose that much cash :eek:

Pete has given the exact reason why im thinking new drums etc too, but i think im going to stick at disc conversion though, will be worth it :cool:
 

PNL

Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
17,870
Location
In my house
GhostWKD said:
my only concern is that i will pay a silly price for the rear axle off this UT and then decide to give up and do drums again, cant afford to lose that much cash :eek:

Pete has given the exact reason why im thinking new drums etc too, but i think im going to stick at disc conversion though, will be worth it :cool:

But if Pete has given you the perfik reason to keep to the rear drum setup WHY oh WHY go to the bother of going down the disc conversion route remember you got shows coming up and you cant get there with the ass of your car up on stands :)
 

custard

Status: DEFCON Grumpy
Joined
Nov 4, 2003
Messages
48,610
Location
Edinburgh
personally would go with the drums if your struggleing.you know at some point you will get the parts you need cheaper.im planning to overhaul the rear brakes soon(ish)
 
OP
OP
GhostWKD

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
PNL said:
But if Pete has given you the perfik reason to keep to the rear drum setup WHY oh WHY go to the bother of going down the disc conversion route remember you got shows coming up and you cant get there with the ass of your car up on stands :)

because rear disc conversion probably exact same amount of time/trouble/cash as it will be to overhaul my drum brakes :p
 

PNL

Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
17,870
Location
In my house
GhostWKD said:
because rear disc conversion probably exact same amount of time/trouble/cash as it will be to overhaul my drum brakes :p

But are the New parts readily available :) cos I wouldnt personaly use second hand spares on any car of mine :)Ps Off topic Iv got a badge for Helz can you pass it on to her for me
 
Top