Rear brakes... what do i do? :(

Currently reading:
Rear brakes... what do i do? :(

Drums or discs on rear?

• Discs whey! cost more but look better

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Rebuilt Drums, aint broke dont fix it, cheaper prob.

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Ive been discussing discs and rear brakes with a few mechanic friends of mine, and they concur with what Pete says, theres no need. the car's too light!

Thing is, a drum has more contact area than a disc anyway...Im thinking of looking into getting some drums machined to have grooves, and looking into possible ways to improve the handbrake (like using a Sei / Late Cinq Mk2 lever and a linkage modification / redesign)

Rear discs on the Marea rotted away as they don't get enough pressure to keep them clean, same on my old Cavalier donkeys back.

Tom, I'll have to take you for a drive in mine some time. New drums, backplates, shoes, cylinders, linkages and cable - lock the wheels with the handbrake in the dry in a straight line.
With 195's on.
Without arms like Popeye.

Sorry, but discs are really just for show on the back of a cinq - unless you're Rallycinq with a hydraulic handbrake. If you increase the rear braking power without a proportional increase in front, you'll end up with one very unstable car under heavy braking.

Uno Turbo front discs and calipers under 13"s won't give you a massive amount more stopping power, but they will fade less than solid discs.

Ok hold the press... solution/compromise reached...

its gonna be drums all rebuilt etc... leaving cash to get a couple of side projects finished ;) :D also means (i think) i can just knock together some brake pipe thingys either to go from snapping point back or if i can get this union apart replace them properly :cool:

:slayer:

thanks all for your opinions, and as you can see they have come in handy (y) :D

Edit:

Priced up shop4parts bits, cylinders, drums and shoes come to about £66 delivered, you guys think its worth replacing the backing plate and also the swing arm for the handbrake cable? if so dont suppose you guys have a part number, cant find my eper :( (old laptop didnt like it) and ff eper down :(

(y) well im just about to order drums/shoes/cylinders from shop4parts, priced up few places they're cheapest (should have shares in that place!) and will try sort other bits from fiat :cool:

Yeah mean the handbrake levers pete :)

I've just received my new drums, cylinders, shoes and hubs from S4P, back plates are Fiat only which I'll phone for later.

Renewing the entire brakes at the rear whilst upgrading to GT brakes at the front soon and I am anticipating neck snapping braking.

Liam

Thanks Pete, i needed some of those arms as well, so thats my handbrake going to be better real soon.

Ghost, if you ever do discs on the back be very careful as pete has already said. I had a drive in a rally car a while back and that adjustable brake bias in the cockpit, cool toy, but oh so dangerous, equal braking force front to back, was just plain twitchy, trail braking became an exercise, in drift control.

Back