Technical Rear Brake Caliper Change - Bravo 1.6 Eco Dynamic

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Brake Caliper Change - Bravo 1.6 Eco Dynamic

smurphy661

Hi, my rear passenger side (UK) brake caliper needs replacing and I just wanted to check if anyone had any advice.

I have changed the rear discs and pads a few times on this car, so I am all ok with this part and the whole process of turning the piston to get it to retract with the special tool, but I haven't changed the calipers on this car before. Do the rear brake hoses require replacement crush sealing washers? Any tips for the removal and reattachment of the handbrake cable? Anything else to make the job a bit easier?

I've added a couple of photos for reference

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• back of caliper.jpg
    back of caliper.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Piston.jpg
    Piston.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi, my rear passenger side (UK) brake caliper needs replacing and I just wanted to check if anyone had any advice.

I have changed the rear discs and pads a few times on this car, so I am all ok with this part and the whole process of turning the piston to get it to retract with the special tool, but I haven't changed the calipers on this car before. Do the rear brake hoses require replacement crush sealing washers? Any tips for the removal and reattachment of the handbrake cable? Anything else to make the job a bit easier?

I've added a couple of photos for reference

Thanks in advance
I expect you have done it by now. Generally you shouldn't need to replace the copper washer as long as you leave it on the hose and do not turn it round from it's original position, it is less likely to leak. Though always do a pressure test and check for any possible leaks after disturbing anything. Re the handbrake cable , I back the adjustment right off , so lots of slack when fitting to the brake caliper lever, once on and air bled out, pump the foot brake and work the handbrake to bring the foot pedal to normal on the self adjuster, check wheel not dragging, then adjust handbrake to normal and again check handbrake releases as it should and no dragging.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here is roughly what i did -

Remove two bolts from the back of the caliper and take the caliper off - it might need a tap with a rubber hammer.

Remove nut to rear of handbrake cable arm on caliper. This allows easy removal of the cable. Alternatively you can compress the spring enough to allow removal - cable ties compress the spring well.

Once the handbrake cable is disconnected, clamp your brake hose and then remove the hose from the caliper. I used a spanner to loosen the nut then span the caliper round in my hand while holding the brake hose until it was released.

I then attached the new caliper to the brake hose using the same method, but reversed.

To attach the handbrake cable, I compressed the handbrake spring with cable ties, then pulled the handbrake cable into place with pliers. Once everything was positioned correctly, I cut the cable tie and removed.

I then swapped the pads for new ones (used copper grease or anti squealing lubricant in the relevant places and spring clips). I had to retract the caliper piston a bit to get the new pads in - used a tool I bought online (rotates and pushes at the same time - different rotation for each side of the car)

I then reattached the caliper using the two bolts on the back.

Once this was all done, I had someone help me bleed the brakes on that side.

Side note - the hole in the arm from the caliper that the handbrake cable runs through was too small on my new one. I therefore removed the arm from the old one and attached to the new one. To do this I had to use a vice and cable ties to compress the spring to allow me to reattach it.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here is roughly what i did -

Remove two bolts from the back of the caliper and take the caliper off - it might need a tap with a rubber hammer.

Remove nut to rear of handbrake cable arm on caliper. This allows easy removal of the cable. Alternatively you can compress the spring enough to allow removal - cable ties compress the spring well.

Once the handbrake cable is disconnected, clamp your brake hose and then remove the hose from the caliper. I used a spanner to loosen the nut then span the caliper round in my hand while holding the brake hose until it was released.

I then attached the new caliper to the brake hose using the same method, but reversed.

To attach the handbrake cable, I compressed the handbrake spring with cable ties, then pulled the handbrake cable into place with pliers. Once everything was positioned correctly, I cut the cable tie and removed.

I then swapped the pads for new ones (used copper grease or anti squealing lubricant in the relevant places and spring clips). I had to retract the caliper piston a bit to get the new pads in - used a tool I bought online (rotates and pushes at the same time - different rotation for each side of the car)

I then reattached the caliper using the two bolts on the back.

Once this was all done, I had someone help me bleed the brakes on that side.

Side note - the hole in the arm from the caliper that the handbrake cable runs through was too small on my new one. I therefore removed the arm from the old one and attached to the new one. To do this I had to use a vice and cable ties to compress the spring to allow me to reattach it.
Sounds like you got it sorted :).
Main thing is to always check afterwards for any leaks and to make sure brakes are running free, no binding etc.

Back