Technical Handbrake holding one side more than other

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake holding one side more than other

smurphy661

Hi all,

I have a Fiat Bravo 2008. I changed the rear caliper to the dirvers side 3 months ago and changed discs and pads to both sides on the rear at the same time. The handbrake now holds the drivers side a lot more than the passenger side. I though that with use this would even out, but it doesn't seem to have changed.

I have taken a picture of the handbrake cable adjuster located behind the handbrake inside the car. You can see that there is a difference in tension between the drivers side cable (right in photo) and passenger side cable (left in photo)

Any ideas how I can solve this so that the handbrake holds both sides evenly?

For info - I changed the passenger side calliper about 18 months ago.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Handbrake Adjuster.jpg
    Handbrake Adjuster.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21
I'll assume that both calipers were new units (@ 3 and 18 months ago) and both are correct for this model of Bravo and that neither has any issues e.g. entrapped air or sticking sliders etc. Also, that the handbrake cables are in good condition - not sticking, frayed etc.

Afaik, there's an automatic adjuster inside each rear brake caliper - this can only adjust up to compensate for brake pad wear if both handbrake operating levers (that the cables connect to) on the rear calipers can return to the fully off position with the handbrake off. Perhaps this wasn't checked when the new calipers were fitted?
Both calipers need to be adjusted i.e. brake pad to disc clearance (for correct footbrake/hydraulic operation after changing pads, discs or calipers) before adjusting the handbrake (cable adjuster to set handbrake height/number of clicks).

So, I'd suggest checking if the h/brake levers on the rear brake calipers are in the fully off (back to their stops) position with the handbrake off.
If not, back off the h/brake cable adjuster until both these h/brake levers are against their stops (fully off), then pump the brake pedal several times (so that the brake caliper adjusters can work to take up any excessive clearances due to pad wear) and finally readjust the h/brake cable adjuster to give the required number of clicks when fully applied. Iirc, this is 3-4 with a light pull on the Bravo, but always check that there is no brake binding when released.

Last edited:
Back