RC Car help (Tamiya build)

Currently reading:
RC Car help (Tamiya build)

That's how we started off, but in competitions, especially at huge outdoor tracks like Halifax, management of the cells, and a smooth fast driving style were essential otherwise you would "dump" well before the race ended.
See pictures of pit table at Halifax 18 months ago. All this gear cost more than the Punto!
Sorry, lost pics somewhere!

Attachments

• DSC03456.JPG
    DSC03456.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC03460.JPG
    DSC03460.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
My son was the expert (and the driver!) .The cells were assembled as a pack of 6 (later reduced to 5) and the charger can be programmed to deliver a set rate of charge across the pack.
I am pretty sure that the discharger works on each cell individually.
In the picture the 2 chargers are running across the back of the pit table, and the discharger is end on, on the left hand side of the table (behind the tyre warmer control unit)!

I've got a Tamiya TL01 short arm fully ball raced with a custom wound 11 turn double. Usual M-tronics gizmo's, set up for drift with 3 different shells. I also have the added benefit of having another TL01 chassis but the long arm version for a bit of stability for racing.

I also own an schumi cat 3k, awesome thing but I just don't use it anymore. Sitting in a box in the spare bedroom.

My uncle has a full set of carbon fiber lying around for me, and if I asked nice enough would probs offer his titanium shafts, anti roll bars, and wishbones.

I'm tempted on selling the cat 3k to be honest (n).

If there isn't a suitable club near you, maybe you could start one?

I'm chairman of our local RC car club (http://www.wcrccc.co.uk/), and a founder member of a slot car racing club (WCSCC).
Organising an RC club or slot car club isn't that difficult, once you've got half a dozen like-minded people on board to get the ball rolling. During the spring/summer, the RC club race 1/10th offroad, renting space from a cricket club - £50 a year. Autumn/winter, we race TC, Mardave and buggies in a school hall - £42 a night. Entry fees more than cover running costs, so we have money for capital equipment like computers, lawnmower, generators, etc.

The biggest cost is buying the timing equipment, but there are some secondhand bargains to be found on eBay.

It's a shame that electric offroad has declined in popularity in recent years. It's an awful lot cheaper to build and maintain an offroad track than a tarmac TC track. For offroad, you just lay some ropes on the grass and add a few jumps. For TC, you need to build a road!

As for batteries, LiPos have made things a lot simpler and cheaper. Many of our members just buy 2 decent packs and charge them at home. £30 charger and £100 for 2 packs - good to go for several seasons.

reading this months PPC, came across an article about a fella in germany who dusted off his old sand scorcher, and built:

tamiya-scorcher-480x360.jpg

a full size one!

maybe building something a little less ambitious over the winter would keep me out of trouble.....

If you are interested I have an AMB timing set up, software and a laptop, 6 rolls of primafelt racing carpet, approx 100 metres of 2 or 3inch diameter rope available. Our club has just closed, pm me for details.

Back