Technical Rattling fan like noise from the engine

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling fan like noise from the engine

vedraes

Hi,
I have noticed rattling (like a piece of paper in a spinning fan) noise coming probably from the engine but only when the car is geared in and moving. It is related to the engine speed . When it is stationary everything is fine and no noise at all even at very high revs. It is difficult to explain but the more power the engine has to put in (to keep the car moving) to louder the noise is. It is increasing when I am turning as well but only when in gears. Any ideas?

Update. The gearbox has gone. Only 70k on the clock and the car is looked after and it broke. Poor quality cars. First and last Fiat ever!!!

Just change the transmission oil sometime and top-up the level every year and that should keep the noise away. Transmission noises are quite common in all cars and if the gears work perfectly there really isn't any issue there as long as there's oil in the box. Also the air intake tube might have become disconnected from the holder. Very usual. My guess is that it's the cv joint because the noise increases when turning. (y)

Just change the transmission oil sometime and top-up the level every year and that should keep the noise away. Transmission noises are quite common in all cars and if the gears work perfectly there really isn't any issue there as long as there's oil in the box. Also the air intake tube might have become disconnected from the holder. Very usual. My guess is that it's the cv joint because the noise increases when turning. (y)
If the gearbox is already nosiey the damage has already been done and changing the oil won't help

These 'GM' gearboxes have been weak for the 15 years they have neen in service on the Corsa and Punto

Failure is usually a bearing ( which can be changed) £250 as @3 hour job
People summise it is caused by letting revs drop too low under load.. not changing down gears on motorway hills

It might still work for a long time until it fails. That was my point and the car's quite old.

Back