Technical Radio reception lost

Currently reading:
Technical Radio reception lost

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

n1ck500s

Our 500s TA '14 has been suffering from the radio signal dipping out. I have followed a few threads on this and it seems a pretty common issue, is that correct?

Is there a fix? I've tried the reset, checked the voltage and aerial but I cannot tune simple BBC stations on my drive !

Any suggestions before I throw it at the dealers (it's under warranty but an 80 miles round trip)

Thanks

Last edited:
My reception goes fuzzy at almost every traffic lights here where i live, I'm used to just putting the mute on till i leave the lights, good sound when it's on though.

A poor aerial connection or unshielded interference are both likely possibilities.

Any suggestions before I throw it at the dealers (it's under warranty but an 80 miles round trip)

Check first.

In the UK, some folks have been told that the warranty on the radio & sound system is only 12 months and on a 2014 car, you may already be out of time for this issue.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I have done some basic checks. Not had anything on charge, even turned mobile's off whilst driving, to check. Got Radio 2 and a local channel this morning so we were happy for 3-5 mins then they both dipped out never to return !

Had a chat with dealer, they have said they will take a look and 'sort it'... a quick chat with a techie at dealers; they will run a new piece of cable from the back of the radio to a new stubby on the roof. If that doesn't clear it then a new head unit will be fitted.
Only had the car a week so am hoping they consider it 'warranty' work

I'll keep you posted !

When I first got mine the radio reception was terrible, noisy, fuzzy and frequent drop-outs, and I was convinced it was an aerial issue, but this is a 500C with the aerial embedded in the windscreen. I stopped using the radio when I learned how to rip CD's and use the USB input. On the odd occasion I use the radio now it seems to have improved oddly enough, but still drops out sometimes and goes berserk when I enter the covered carpark at the local supermarket, but only while the engine's running. If I switch off and turn only the radio back on then it works perfectly until I start the car again!

Last edited:
Sadly the radio issue does seem to be something that a few have suffered. Mine is back in the dealer on Tuesday to sort a few teething problems.

Ours has the same problem. 3 1/2yr old 1.2 lounge. Radio reception drifts in and out all the time on most stations. I am sure it didn't do it when we first got it so I am watching this thread with interest to see the outcome. I have had the head unit out to check for a loose aerial connection but found it securely fitted and refitted it. Also changed the aerial mast and I am now thinking it could be the aerial base unit as I have read they can crack but wanted to get more concrete proof before I buy a replacement and have a go at pulling the roof lining down to replace it. Good thing is they are not too dear either at around £30-40 so any light you can shed would be most welcome (y)

Ours goes to the dealership on Tuesday, I'll keep people posted.

I want a positive outcome asap and am open to their suggestions in honesty.

So after a day at the dealers, here is what they have done;

- Radio; New head unit, aerial and base with new wiring
- Knocking at front end; new lower control arms
- Dirty car; cleaned it !

Get it back tomorrow as the head lining had to be taken out for the aerial and it's a lengthy job to get it back in so I said keep the car 'til Friday.

Fingers crossed I can get Jeremy Vine very soon !!

You can't beat a bit of healthy Radio 2 debate...

Last edited:
Hmmm
Changing the whole lot on the radio problem doesn't really help me much as I would have thought only one of those things will have caused it. Talk about sledgehammer to crack a nut !!
Hope it sorts your problem though.

So we now have the car back and I can report Jeremy Vine is firing on both cylinders !

It's had a new aerial base and wiring. Head unit wasn't replaced in the end. Garage Technician said that they are replacing a lot of aerials under warranty and his advice to out of warranty repairs would be to replace the aerial and base first, then the wiring to the radio as a process of elimination. It's not an difficult fix but needs a dry day or a workshop as the headlining needs to come out.

I decided to have a look at our aerial problem today and think I may have sorted it. It's quite straightforward to do. First I removed to the two roof lining clips at the rear and that gives you enough room to get at the nut holding the base to the bodywork. It's a 22mm nut and you can undo it with a socket as the wiring fits at the bottom out of harms way. The aerial base has a wiring tail which simply pulls out of the Coax to the head unit. Once released I saw that it was damp. There are two very small Torx screws holding the base together so I undid them and was surprised to find a small circuit board hidden inside which was damp too. I dried it out and refitted it thinking it wouldn't make any difference but it has. Full reception restored :slayer:
I will keep my eye on it and if it goes again and gets damp I will apply a bit of silicone between the two halves of the base unit to stop the damp getting in (y)

I had a look at my aerial over the weekend, as the radio reception was really bad (could only get radio2) when I took it off, I removed the two small screws and there was water inside and the circuit board was badly corroded. Anyway I bought an second hand aerial off eBay and fitted it today and hey presto I now have about 14 radio stations!

I had a look at my aerial over the weekend, as the radio reception was really bad (could only get radio2) when I took it off, I removed the two small screws and there was water inside and the circuit board was badly corroded. Anyway I bought an second hand aerial off eBay and fitted it today and hey presto I now have about 14 radio stations!

This is what I found too but my circuit board was not corroded, just damp. I dried it off and bent the two little contacts at the top so it made better contact with the metal thread that the aerial mast screws into and mine has been great ever since. Admittedly it's only been a week but if it does go again it's a really easy fix that only takes about 10-15 mins.

Thanks, I'll add this to my todo list as the AMFM reception on the wife's 500 died a while ago. I wasn't too keen on removing the headlining, as it seemed a bit fragile when I pulled it down to fit the screen mount DAB antenna.

If it is still under warranty I don't see why they wouldn't sort it for you. If not it is really easy to do. Just take your time and you will be fine. Ours is still fine 3 months and counting later.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back