General R15 and R14

Currently reading:
General R15 and R14

pandalove

Hi

I recently bought a Panda 4x4 it came with tyres of 175 / 65 / R15

I would rather carry a spare but it only takes a space saver.

It advises that a space saver is size 135 / 80 /R14.

Is this feasible to drive on since it is a R14 and my tyres are R15?

Thanks

Quite normal, very rare a space saver is as big as the wheel it’s replacing hence the name. They’ve normally got a big sticker on them with a limited speed whilst in use. Just designed to get you home and to the nearest tyre garage

Quite normal, very rare a space saver is as big as the wheel it’s replacing hence the name. They’ve normally got a big sticker on them with a limited speed whilst in use. Just designed to get you home and to the nearest tyre garage
Perfect. Where is the best place to buy them? Do all Fiat's have the same stud pattern?

Thanks

I’d have a look on Ebay as dealer prices will be stupid, other models of fiat will most probably be the same size so if you find out your stud pattern i’m sure there’ll be plenty on there. If you post another thread saying you’re trying to source one someone might be able to point you in the right direction or even have one they could sell you

I’d have a look on Ebay as dealer prices will be stupid, other models of fiat will most probably be the same size so if you find out your stud pattern i’m sure there’ll be plenty on there. If you post another thread saying you’re trying to source one someone might be able to point you in the right direction or even have one they could sell you
That is a good idea. I will do that. Thank you for your help

Hi

I recently bought a Panda 4x4 it came with tyres of 175 / 65 / R15

I would rather carry a spare but it only takes a space saver.

It advises that a space saver is size 135 / 80 /R14.

Is this feasible to drive on since it is a R14 and my tyres are R15?

Thanks
No - that’s not the correct spare for a 4x4.

I will use this forum’s excellent search tool to find one of several earlier threads about this and where the correct info has been previously provided. Give me a mo…

I bought a space saver with 125/90/R15. It’s a very close match to the rolling diameter of the 4x4 spec tyres, and fits into the well nicely.

I bought a space saver with 125/90/R15. It’s a very close match to the rolling diameter of the 4x4 spec tyres, and fits into the well nicely.
Ohhhh wow that is amazing. I will take those dimensions and get one exactly the same. Thank you sooo much for telling me, very much appreciated.

Its important to make sure you do get the right size or you will upset the 4x4 system. The ECU can recognise the presence of the rihght sized spare and it makes adjustments to prevent warnings and possible damage. The right size wheel is the same as for the Panda 100. I will look and see what this is next time I go down to the car. With a 4x4 its also important to not use the space save for any longer than necessary as the 4x4 system is put under strain when differing wheel sizes are used. You should also be aware that as a standard 4x4 wheel and tyre will not fit into the wheel well at all its not certain the wrong space saver would either. Its 125/70x15 as supplied for my 2019 model. It may be OK with other sizes but they may or may not be identified by the ECU.

Its important to make sure you do get the right size or you will upset the 4x4 system. The ECU can recognise the presence of the rihght sized spare and it makes adjustments to prevent warnings and possible damage. The right size wheel is the same as for the Panda 100. I will look and see what this is next time I go down to the car. With a 4x4 its also important to not use the space save for any longer than necessary as the 4x4 system is put under strain when differing wheel sizes are used. You should also be aware that as a standard 4x4 wheel and tyre will not fit into the wheel well at all its not certain the wrong space saver would either. Its 125/70x15 as supplied for my 2019 model. It may be OK with other sizes but they may or may not be identified by the ECU.
I need 2 spare wheels
1 - First one which is a 2021 4x4
2 - Second one my other half which is a 2019 4x4
Both cars have 15" alloys on at the moment 175 / 65 / R15
Is 125/70x15 the correct for the above?

Its 125/70x15 as supplied for my 2019 model. It may be OK with other sizes but they may or may not be identified by the ECU.
Is 125/70x15 the correct for the above?
I had found that size suggested, and 125/80/15 was suggested in the thread linked above by @Herts Hillhopper . Have also seen 135/80/15 bandied about.

The image below I’ve cobbled together shows why I went for 125/90/15. It’s so close to the original in size that there are only 4 revolutions different per mile, vs some significant differences in diameter, circumference and revs per mile for the other sizes.

Image.jpeg

As its a question that pops up periodically do confirm if its fine. I take it fits in the boot as mine has room to stretch out. I can confirm I have used my 125/70x15 and there appear to be no issues. It is a Fiat supplied wheel so none expected. How about the other alternatives. I did manage to get a 195/45x15 Panda 100 wheel to sit more or less in the wheel well of that car and have considered one as a spare on the 4x4. I would really like a proper tyre that would be good for 60mph running and with safe cornering capacity. I hate space savers as they all seem to have no grip whatsoever.

As its a question that pops up periodically do confirm if its fine. I take it fits in the boot as mine has room to stretch out. I can confirm I have used my 125/70x15 and there appear to be no issues. It is a Fiat supplied wheel so none expected. How about the other alternatives. I did manage to get a 195/45x15 Panda 100 wheel to sit more or less in the wheel well of that car and have considered one as a spare on the 4x4. I would really like a proper tyre that would be good for 60mph running and with safe cornering capacity. I hate space savers as they all seem to have no grip whatsoever.
Drops in the wheel well fine. Stacked a jack (suitable for the 4x4) and all the tools on top of it and the carpet goes back down. Haven't run it on the car yet as no need, but felt reassured by the similarity in size that it would be "as good as a space saver can be". If I need to use it, and that it will be over any significant distance, then I'll be fitting it to the OSR position and using the real wheel in any other position. Means a little extra swapping around at the side of the road so not worth it for a short journey home, but defo better for a longer drive.

I had found that size suggested, and 125/80/15 was suggested in the thread linked above by @Herts Hillhopper . Have also seen 135/80/15 bandied about.

The image below I’ve cobbled together shows why I went for 125/90/15. It’s so close to the original in size that there are only 4 revolutions different per mile, vs some significant differences in diameter, circumference and revs per mile for the other sizes.

View attachment 436450
I wonder if being ‘too well matched’ is a disadvantage? The handbook infers that the car detects the spacesaver is being used and reduces the amount of four wheel drive… (presumably by sensing the smaller diameter of the 125/80 tyre)

Drops in the wheel well fine. Stacked a jack (suitable for the 4x4) and all the tools on top of it and the carpet goes back down. Haven't run it on the car yet as no need, but felt reassured by the similarity in size that it would be "as good as a space saver can be". If I need to use it, and that it will be over any significant distance, then I'll be fitting it to the OSR position and using the real wheel in any other position. Means a little extra swapping around at the side of the road so not worth it for a short journey home, but defo better for a longer drive.
I would suggest you do try it even just round the block locally. Better to know it fits and works before you need it on a dark wet night. Probably the biggest possible query is that it clears the brakes. I expect it will. I tend to agree with HertsHillHopper about the size but Im probably overcautious. Its just there seem to be so many things working against you these days, mostly due to computers being involved. My research suggests space savers are meant for the rear axle only in an ideal world. On the front of our 169, and fitted on our old Perodua it made steering a lottery especially on damp roads. I do urge everyone who uses a space saver to take it very gently especially until you have a feel for your grip and handling. Personally I think they are all awful. Interestingly (to me at least) my brothers Range Rover had a 195 section space saver and he said the car was slightly compromised but felt safe. Normal tyres are 295s. Its also notable that he had to use the S/S after a tyre was wrecked in France and had to drive 500 miles home on it. He said today he now has a proper matching spare and tyre. I wish we could do this for a Panda 4x4 but the wheel wont fit as stated previously.

I would suggest you do try it even just round the block locally. Better to know it fits and works before you need it on a dark wet night. Probably the biggest possible query is that it clears the brakes. I expect it will. I tend to agree with HertsHillHopper about the size but Im probably overcautious. Its just there seem to be so many things working against you these days, mostly due to computers being involved. My research suggests space savers are meant for the rear axle only in an ideal world. On the front of our 169, and fitted on our old Perodua it made steering a lottery especially on damp roads. I do urge everyone who uses a space saver to take it very gently especially until you have a feel for your grip and handling. Personally I think they are all awful. Interestingly (to me at least) my brothers Range Rover had a 195 section space saver and he said the car was slightly compromised but felt safe. Normal tyres are 295s. Its also notable that he had to use the S/S after a tyre was wrecked in France and had to drive 500 miles home on it. He said today he now has a proper matching spare and tyre. I wish we could do this for a Panda 4x4 but the wheel wont fit as stated previously.
I’ve used mine on my 4x4 twice but usefully it was a rear tyre that punctured each time. Not great, it not supposed to be. The idea is that it gets you to a tyre depot to get a replacement - which in Hertfordshire is easy as most towns have somewhere (even if only a cheap full size to ‘get by’ while they order the correct tyre in). Longest it stayed on the car was two days.

I’ve used mine on my 4x4 twice but usefully it was a rear tyre that punctured each time. Not great, it not supposed to be. The idea is that it gets you to a tyre depot to get a replacement - which in Hertfordshire is easy as most towns have somewhere (even if only a cheap full size to ‘get by’ while they order the correct tyre in). Longest it stayed on the car was two days.
This is very interesting as a 4x4 owner when I bought the car it came with a 13 inch space saver I take it it will only fit the back and not the front ?

Back