Technical quick word of caution (front brakes)

Currently reading:
Technical quick word of caution (front brakes)

The problem for me is that the brakes on the Subaru are **** despite having had new discs, pads and fluid not that long ago. Nothing wrong with it, just not much braking for such a heavy car. So wife gets out of Subaru and into the Fiat and applies enough braking pressure to bring 13 or 1400 kg's of Subaru to a stop with crap brakes. Only problem is the 500 weighs 860kg's and has decent brakes (if you're just bringing it to a stop once)

:bang:

Tbf since the advent of abs brake pedals have been getting more and more sensitive because if you happen to press them a bit hard the electronics will sort it out (hopefully). The Subaru is distinctly more old school in requiring a hefty shove making it harder to lock the wheels unless you've just thought "omg I'm gonna die". If you drive an older fiat followed by a new one you can really feel how they've ratcheted up the assistance despite pretty similar technology.

Tbf since the advent of abs brake pedals have been getting more and more sensitive because if you happen to press them a bit hard the electronics will sort it out (hopefully). The Subaru is distinctly more old school in requiring a hefty shove making it harder to lock the wheels unless you've just thought "omg I'm gonna die". If you drive an older fiat followed by a new one you can really feel how they've ratcheted up the assistance despite pretty similar technology.

Our Subaru has ABS (well, as of last Friday as it wasn't working before!). It's just that the discs are fairly small for the size of the car. Front discs are 276mm and the rears are 266. In comparison an Abarth has 284mm discs up front and 240 at the back. Subaru weighs a couple hundred kilo's more and has a good whack more power too.

I do have some 4 pot front and 2 pot rear calipers which I could put on, but that means the standard wheels won't fit on and I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of having aftermarket wheels on it.

Our Subaru has ABS (well, as of last Friday as it wasn't working before!). It's just that the discs are fairly small for the size of the car. Front discs are 276mm and the rears are 266. In comparison an Abarth has 284mm discs up front and 240 at the back. Subaru weighs a couple hundred kilo's more and has a good whack more power too.

I do have some 4 pot front and 2 pot rear calipers which I could put on, but that means the standard wheels won't fit on and I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of having aftermarket wheels on it.

My comment was more on the pedal action rather than whether or not the brakes were entirely adequate. As brakes and abs systems have improved it seems that they set the threshold required for standing the car on its nose has dropped. On the swift the pedal action is similar to a none-abs car so the brakes feel a bit crap compared to my gfs micra which has an on off switch for a middle pedal. However I'm pretty willing to bet if you emergency stopped side by side swift would be equivalent or better. However the swifts abs is very dimwitted (you can unlock the wheels yourself before it figures it out ffs) so its probably a conscious decision to stop you activating it too often.

Secondly, you're using power tools like a sissy :p
Job well done. Can't see anything wrong with what you've done, I would only add that as jrkitching mentioned, that the corrosion in the reaction frames is problem and I would have a go at getting as much of the crud out of them as possible. Can't remember what I used to clean them out though.

Job well done. Can't see anything wrong with what you've done, I would only add that as jrkitching mentioned, that the corrosion in the reaction frames is problem and I would have a go at getting as much of the crud out of them as possible. Can't remember what I used to clean them out though.

what the part the pads sit in? the new pads slid in easy after i hammered the old pads out..... :devil:

pah he used copper anti seize compound..... now is it a grease?

can-o-worms.jpg

shall link his post to my guide :)

Last edited:
Back