General Front bumper repaired

Currently reading:
General Front bumper repaired

I had a collision a few months ago which left me with this:
20240316_122954.jpg

I bought a plastic welder, took the bumper off and fixed it up:
1000014777.jpg

It still needs filling and painting but whether I do that myself or take it to a bodyshop, it's saved me some money! Very happy withe results.

I posted a guide on how to do this here.

We also had a front end prang, bought a "cheap" new one from Ebay fits 'ok' and generally happy with it similar to this

Unless you're fixing it yourself, getting a new one painted and you install would be the best option, the labour cost of repairing isn't worth it.
Note many new cheap ones don't have the tow hitch cover

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This is ours with the cheap bumper, I didn't have the wings blended in hence the slight difference

We also had a front end prang, bought a "cheap" new one from Ebay fits 'ok' and generally happy with it similar to this

Unless you're fixing it yourself, getting a new one painted and you install would be the best option, the labour cost of repairing isn't worth it.
Note many new cheap ones don't have the tow hitch cover
I'm going to try doing the filling and painting myself. Won't cost too much to try and if I'm not happy with the result then I haven't spent much and I'll go down the route you mentioned.

Pretty happy with the crack repair so far. The plastic welder will come in handy for other jobs so the money spent on that wouldn't be a waste even if I get a new bumper and it only took 4 hours which wasn't a waste as I put a new headlight on while the bumper was off.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This is ours with the cheap bumper, I didn't have the wings blended in hence the slight difference
Looks good. I doubt anyone would know it wasn't oem.

I linked a DRL light if you need one above
Thanks but I already got a new one and put it in. In the first photo you can see the cracked one and in the second photo a new (used) one. I do need to replace the daytime running lights though. The connector that the plug goes onto is badly corroded and two pins have vanished.

Thanks but I already got a new one and put it in. In the first photo you can see the cracked one and in the second photo a new (used) one. I do need to replace the daytime running lights though. The connector that the plug goes onto is badly corroded and two pins have vanished.
It's the drl(day time running light) I linked, I managed to repair our lights all the brackets were broken off and the body of the drl cracked, Epoxy is great

I had a collision a few months ago which left me with this:
View attachment 440163

I bought a plastic welder, took the bumper off and fixed it up:
View attachment 440164

It still needs filling and painting but whether I do that myself or take it to a bodyshop, it's saved me some money! Very happy withe results.

I posted a guide on how to do this here.
If your paintworks anything like as good as your plastic welding then it will look good! nice job and great that you did it yourself, and learnt a new skill!

If your paintworks anything like as good as your plastic welding then it will look good! nice job and great that you did it yourself, and learnt a new skill!
Thank you! Definitely a handy skill to have. I find myself thinking back on how many cracked plastic things I have gaffa taped together, never again!
I've done a lot of rattle can spraying before, so I think it should go ok. My only problem will be finding somewhere to do it. One thing I have learnt is that when doing this outdoors, the spray travels quiet a distance, had to clay bar some overspray off of another car :rolleyes: I do have an old gazebo which is broken and needs throwing out so I may set that up on the drive.

Thank you! Definitely a handy skill to have. I find myself thinking back on how many cracked plastic things I have gaffa taped together, never again!
I've done a lot of rattle can spraying before, so I think it should go ok. My only problem will be finding somewhere to do it. One thing I have learnt is that when doing this outdoors, the spray travels quiet a distance, had to clay bar some overspray off of another car :rolleyes: I do have an old gazebo which is broken and needs throwing out so I may set that up on the drive.
good idea! it will be a sort of a semi -sterile enviroment! , will keep the overspray down and dust/ bugs and wind blow crap out!

good idea! it will be a sort of a semi -sterile enviroment! , will keep the overspray down and dust/ bugs and wind blow crap out!
I need to speak to a friend of mine who does a lot of car work, he's currently restoring a Morris Minor. I think he done some spraying on that so I'll ask him if he has a space he uses first. If not, gazebo it is.

Also need to do a full respray on my bonnet. There's a silhouette of a pinup girl where someone had a decal on for a long time, the colour around it has faded and then they've taken the decal off. Might do that at the same time.

I need to stop thinking of more stuff to spray or I'll have half the car under there with 20 rattle cans! 😅

I need to speak to a friend of mine who does a lot of car work, he's currently restoring a Morris Minor. I think he done some spraying on that so I'll ask him if he has a space he uses first. If not, gazebo it is.

Also need to do a full respray on my bonnet. There's a silhouette of a pinup girl where someone had a decal on for a long time, the colour around it has faded and then they've taken the decal off. Might do that at the same time.

I need to stop thinking of more stuff to spray or I'll have half the car under there with 20 rattle cans! 😅
Well it yellow maybe i should bring mine over to you(best make it 25 cans then!🤔🤣

Back