Technical Quick question

Currently reading:
Technical Quick question

onfire_82

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of a stilo 1.2 battery?? need to upgrade mine to a redtop, and need to be certain of the size i need. Would take the other one out but its all too much agro right now. Any help appreciated.

Ben

Why on earth do you need a redtop, surely youre not racing a 1.2 stilo? I would think any redtop will be smaller.

braden: High end audio set up, and headlamps are dipping to scarily low levels when the bass hits, and no i'm not a boy racer. Just like a decent audio set up.

purplemonday: was thinking of that, but was wondering if anyone else has done a battery swap. this is the penultimate option, failing this its a split charge.

I know what you mean ive got a 3farad power cap on my set up but still effects, light etc... hehehe! But ive had a look at halfords and they dont have the stilo on there chart tingy with all the battery info! The calcuim 1's they do should do the job! and they only bout £50, which ent bad! Just measure your standard and go have a poke round till you find 1 they same size there!

Sorry to state the obvious, but going to Halfords wouldn't be the easiest, the easiest would to be pop the bonnet and measure your own battery!

Doubt you'd need a red top, certainly been no reported posts on the 1.2 battery not being up to the job.

Unless your going the daft ICE route, in which case having a bigger capacity battery won't necessarily be what you need if your alternator can't charge it.

I should imagion that it would be able to charge it; as i had a second battery on me punto with a split, so the standard alternator was charging both (n that was on a 1.2 8v punto) n it didnt cope to bad with it! The only fing is the weight of the other battery was quite heavy and sat in my spare wheel weld; dont wana do that in the stilo with the excesses weigh as i dont wana slow it down! It kept the second battery charged up for bout 2month then i would top it up with me home charger and plonk it back in! So i cant see y it wont cope with charging the heavy duty jobbie all the time!

1.8Stilo said:
But ive had a look at halfords and they dont have the stilo on there chart tingy with all the battery info!

How long ago did you last look? I looked in the Peterborough Halfords just before christmas and the Stilo was on there...I'm looking at sticking the JTD battery in mine just to try and get rid of the annoying false error messages!

StiloBoy said:
Sorry to state the obvious, but going to Halfords wouldn't be the easiest, the easiest would to be pop the bonnet and measure your own battery!

Maybe your car is different to mine StiloBoy, but the battery cover on my car is held in place by some unusual bolts, for which I don't have a tool to undo!

The battery cover is held in place using Torx bolts which whilst they are becoming more popular is still something many people don't have the correct tool for.

I found that in the event of a roadside emergency (I managed to knock thew hazard light switch when taking my phone out of it's old cradle and they were on all day at work :eek: ) these bolts can be removed by using the flat blade screwdriver FIAT provide.

purplemonday said:
The battery cover is held in place using Torx bolts which whilst they are becoming more popular is still something many people don't have the correct tool for.

I found that in the event of a roadside emergency (I managed to knock thew hazard light switch when taking my phone out of it's old cradle and they were on all day at work :eek: ) these bolts can be removed by using the flat blade screwdriver FIAT provide.

Mine aren't Torx, I've got plenty of tools for them - it's a different fitting - can't recollect the name off hand - been meaning to buy a suitable set of bits for ages!

I'd prefer to avoid using the screwdriver to prevent damaging the heads.

Paul

onfire_82 said:
braden: High end audio set up, and headlamps are dipping to scarily low levels when the bass hits, and no i'm not a boy racer. Just like a decent audio set up.

Didn't know they were good for that, I thought they were just lighter and dry/gel.

best of luck.

Renault do a specific set of all the torx and weird bits you would ever need in a little box you can keep with your spare, cost less than a fiver (in France though). Maybe Fiat do the same? (Having said this, none of the ends in the box are anything special, just all the useful ones together).

Stuart DemonD said:
Ok, got any pics of these coz I am intrigued now?!

It looks very similar to a Torx, but isn't, its a 7mm 'Ribe' fixing.

Here's a ribe bit set:

ta710.gif

and here's a torx:

ta564.gif

The torx have rounded tips, where as the Ribe is flat.

From a quick search on the net, it would appear that plenty of people have been mistaken and ended up stripping bolts in their calipers or cylinder heads by using the wrong tool!

Paul

1.8Stilo said:
IIt kept the second battery charged up for bout 2month then i would top it up with me home charger and plonk it back in! So i cant see y it wont cope with charging the heavy duty jobbie all the time!

But you've just said that, that it wasn't charging it and you took it out occasionally to charge it fully! :p

Putting undue stress on the Alternator can't be a good thing, if nothing else it will in turn put the fan belt under more strain, causing possible slippage and if not robbing the engine of power.

All things worth noting! :) Don't want to drive down the street all smug and cool looking with your choon's booming out, and your fan belt screeching like a biatch! ;)

FYI.... 210 x 180 x 210mm (w x d x h) though it can actually take a battery thats up to 280 in width.

Back