Technical Question about radiator water tank

Currently reading:
Technical Question about radiator water tank

lgabola2200

Good evening guys,
Taking advantage of some free time, I decided to make a total cleaning of the air intake of my Stilo.
I practically disassembled ALL the intake line, starting from the airbox and ending with the notorious intake manifold.

To dismantle the manifold there is a rigid tube on it that starts from the thermostatic valve and arrives at the engine water tank.
This tube splits just before timing belt and enters in the intake manifold.
Now I have not yet understood the task of this tube and for this I ask you for an explanation.

Does water pass inside? :confused:

Because practically I noticed that when I accelerate a turbulence is created inside the tank and, having had to drain the system, I do not understand if there is still air inside or the manifold couples badly on the head and therefore a "communication has been created ”Between this rigid tube and the air inlet which therefore in the compression phase of the piston number 1 and the relative opening of the valve causes a part of the air to vent inside the tank.
I also hear the engine slightly louder and with more idle vibrations.

If it were not for this problem, I would be totally satisfied with the work done.
I eliminated an amount of oil equal to about 3 plastic cups accumulated both in the intercooler and in the tray welded under the airbox .. the one that acts as a decant for oil vapors.
I changed the o-ring of the rigid sleeve at the inlet of the manifold which was soiling me of vapors all over the engine compartment and I applied the motorblack on each slot of each sleeve.
I cleaned the throttle valve and now the engine is no longer shaking on shutdown.
I cleaned the actuator of the variable geometry and sealed the air depression couplings with motorblack ..
In short, a job done very calmly and scrupulously.

Now I have the engine that literally glues me to the seat, there is not the slightest whistle of air coming out of the sleeves, the turbo has become very silent.

I just hope that this water behavior is normal and therefore there are no problems!

P.S. Sorry but I used google translate because I also asked that thing in other italian forum.

Last edited:
Hi :)

In the uk

It is called Coolant Expansion Tank

Your translation looks fine ;)

From your description it is probably small pockets of air that are moving in the coolant flow.

WATCH THE COOLANT LEVEL..
For a few days ;)

It may well drop a little until air is all 'purged'

Charlie

Ok Perfect!

Days ago it dropped under “Min” so I refilled till the “Max” and now seems hold the correct level.

I hope there aren’t problems.

Can you explain me how expansion tank work? I mean the upper tube is a “return” of somethings? If yes, is a return of what? Air or water?

Thanks a lot (y)

Ps. I’ll not use google translate anymore. Don’t worry.

Perfect.

I’ll check water every day and... hope all is fine!

And, about the vibrations? Some ideas?
It’s more noiser and sound like knocking but maybe I’m just overthinking.

Tomorrow I update a video :rolleyes:

Good morning!

This is the video. Can you confirm if it seems a normal sound?
It seems knocking :confused:

Also, I noticed a “zzzzzzzz” rumor came from the high pressuper diesel pump.
What you think about that?

Thanks a lot!
Have a good day!

1drv.ms/v/s!AmVnS-h_84XIta5CNMuVNCdyLMLYpg

Last edited:
Back