Quick question regarding brakes...

Currently reading:
Quick question regarding brakes...

I would always replace pads as a set. If you have one side off to check it, you might as well do the other side as well - it is possible that if one side needs freeing up, the other might not be far behind.
Same with disks, I've always been lead to believe that you should have both disks skimmed at the same time.

I did a sharp brake on gravel and only got a skid mark from the drivers wheel, so i assume the pass side is kaput.

Its probably worth me mentioning the car hasn't had a good run in about 8 months (been a repairs project.)

I'm not sure its pad or disc related though. Both discs are of equal thickness and neither appear warped (athough i have no measuring tool to confirm.) The pads have tons left on them (they must be pretty new tbh.) I've removed the pads from both calipers, rubbed down both the metal backplates of the pads and the grooves in the calipers and coppergreased the edges of the plates, the grooves in the calipers and the backs of the pads. The pads slide freely in the calipers. I've already tried replacing the pass side caliper with a good but used caliper (always assumed that was the problem side anyway.) I've bled the system several times in both the rear drivers brake and the front passenger brake to be sure all air is out of that circuit. When bleeding the front caliper, fluid came thru ok so i don't think theres a blockage.

Only thing i can think of now is master cylinder unless you guys can think of anything else?

Last edited:
You sound confident, will give it a go (y) are they common to cause these symptoms then :confused:

The hoses can break down internally causing restriction of fluid movement and thus reduced braking. They're cheap to buy and fairly easy to fit.

Only other thing I can think of is that you have a sticking caliper piston.

By a process of elimination you'll have it sorted soon (y)

So i've replaced the flexhose, master cylinder + reservoir + rear pressure regulators (from a scrap '04 reg - looks good condition and pipes still intact so it hadnt been left dry), brake pipe to the suspect caliper, brake fluid flush and bleed and the brakes are much better but still not right.
Maybe its time for new pads and discs? cos thats all i can think of now.

Oh and how do i bleed the clutch slave cylinder? i can see the nipple but it doesnt seem to have the hex head on it to unscrew it

(its the mk2 punto btw) This quick question has turned into a nightmare :(

defo time for discs and pads, but if they look ok and there is no visible contamination from grease or oil then its strange. i guess you've badly glazed the pad when it was sticking.

Fingers crossed, i think its sorted, but i guess i won't be able to tell for sure for a week or so while the new pads bed in.
I had to undo the bleed screw and push the caliper piston back to fit the new pads in and as i did, a milky frothy liquid oozed out of the bleed screw. Obviously the bleed screw only bleeds the pipe and not whats in the caliper :doh: didnt think of that :eek:
So to be sure it was all out of the caliper, i fitted the pads and then put a g-clamp between the outside pad and the back of the caliper to push it in as far as it would go without damaging the piston. Then i started bleeding it. Then as i tightened the bleed screw back up, my assistant was still pumping the brake - obviously there was nowhere else for the pressure to go but to force the caliper piston out, causing the cast iron g-clamp to shatter - another "D'oh" moment - but atleast i know i have excellent pressure there now, even if it did cost me a perfectly good g-clamp :D

Last edited:
Back