General Quick question about cam covers

Currently reading:
General Quick question about cam covers

Hallo.

Need to do a rocker cover swap with something less leaky - mine seems to have become warped or some crazy sheeeet. Anyway, there's a few 1242 8v Puntos in my local scrapyard with no signs of leaks, but, I wonder, will they bolt straight on to a 999cc 8v?

There's some 1108s too but they've all had failed gaskets and could be suffering the same fate. There's 2 clean 1.2 engines. They look the same size... But most times I just go ahead without researching things go wrong.

Cheers. :)

Hallo.

Need to do a rocker cover swap with something less leaky - mine seems to have become warped or some crazy sheeeet. Anyway, there's a few 1242 8v Puntos in my local scrapyard with no signs of leaks, but, I wonder, will they bolt straight on to a 999cc 8v?

There's some 1108s too but they've all had failed gaskets and could be suffering the same fate. There's 2 clean 1.2 engines. They look the same size... But most times I just go ahead without researching things go wrong.

Cheers. :)

Sorry its off topic, but did you say there were some 1108cc Auto Panda's? Carlt needs a gearbox ECU out of one if you can get it(y).

I don't normally beg, but they're hard to come by. It's under the center console.

Jon.

I'm sure they are all the same size and use the same gasket, however I think there are variations relating to sensor fittings and breather pipes (nothing that should stop it fitting onto a Panda engine, but don't quote me:eek:)

Last edited:
Right the rocker cover gasket listed even fits the 1600 tipo so sounds like it should fit in that sense.
Rocker cover gasket.jpg

The cover itself however isn't listed for the Punto itself just the Punto cabrio? so not sure mate. But if the gasket fits I would think the cover should?
Rocker cover.jpg

Hallo.

Need to do a rocker cover swap with something less leaky - mine seems to have become warped or some crazy sheeeet.

Are you sure the cam cover is warped? The gaskets on cam covers don't like being over tightened, barely more than finger tight is adequate (the Haynes says 8Nm) If they're overtightened they squish too much and leak. Like this guy ----> :cry:

Last edited:
I thought the gasket had failed but when I took it off it was fine. When I tried fitting a new one the metal "lip" the gasket sits in goes thin on one of the long sides, and the gasket wouldn't go in. For now it is fitted but with a leak. I'll try slackening off the bolts, though, and check the current gasket's shape to see how it's survived.

If it is just too tight then that's cool, otherwise I'll give a 1.2 cover a go. I remember the breather pipe being different for MPI cars so I'll dig out an SPI, there's a lot of choice!

Once it starts leaking Sam even if you loosten it it will still leak as the damage would have been done. You would need a new gasket and try tightening as above.

I wasn't agreeing that this is what happened in your case, just agreeing if you over tighten it leaks......

Think back to when it started leaking, was it when you fitted a new gasket or did it just start on it's own. If the former I would try a new gasket if the latter get a new cover ;)

Once it starts leaking Sam even if you loosten it it will still leak as the damage would have been done. You would need a new gasket and try tightening as above.

I wasn't agreeing that this is what happened in your case, just agreeing if you over tighten it leaks......

Think back to when it started leaking, was it when you fitted a new gasket or did it just start on it's own. If the former I would try a new gasket if the latter get a new cover ;)

My turn!

I certainly agree with that........

(y)

Right the rocker cover gasket listed even fits the 1600 tipo so sounds like it should fit in that sense.
View attachment 45481

The cover itself however isn't listed for the Punto itself just the Punto cabrio? so not sure mate. But if the gasket fits I would think the cover should?
View attachment 45482

I'm surprised that it lists the FIRE rocker gasket as the same as the 1600 Tipo/ Punto Cabrio :confused: The 1.6 Tipo (and the 1.6 Punto Cabrio) use a totally different engine to the 8v FIRE's with a completely different rocker cover in terms of shape and size. The Tipo rocker gasket is thinner and longer than the FIRE's from what I can tell. Could it be a mistake or does anyone know if the gaskets indeed are the same?

Pic below of a my Uno 70SX 1301cc engine (same basic engine as the 1.6 Tipo/ Punto) and also of a FIRE in my Uno 45 for comparison.

DSCF00601.JPG

Uno_K_N.JPG

Last edited:
Back