General Quick newbie question

Currently reading:
General Quick newbie question

Hi all

Just picked up my first Panda yesterday (excluding the old one I had about 7 years ago that was ace!)

It is a 2004 Eleganza with the semi automatic option and I am really pleased with it.

I just have one question though, when I first unlock the car and get in there is a strange electronic whirring sound for about 10 secs that then goes off.

My question is, is this normal and if so what is it?

Many Thanks

Shaun

Hi there,

I myself have an Eleganza, amazing car, anyway, from what I belvie you mean is that, once you put the key in the ignition, you would here a whirring sound similar to a jet engine starting up as a plane, it's the climate control fans starting up, to stop that, all you have to do is turn it off before you switch off your car. As for the next time you start the car up, it would remember the same setting from the last time and the cimate control would remain off, no whirring sound,

Hope that helps,

From Starbok.

:D :D

Thanks Starbok that explains it!

I have also noticed that even at the highest fan setting the blowers don't seem to be very powerful, is this correct?

One other thing as well I noticed that one side of the rear seat back (drivers side) wasn't completly locked into place and needed a good slam to get it to do so, however when locked into place it makes an annoying rattling sound which disappears if I unlock it again and leave it not quite locked in.

Has anyone else had this issue and can I fix it?

Apart from that the car is amazing and has done over 200 miles on half a tank of petrol. On my 25 mile commute into work today the trip computer has showed 57 MPG, is the computer very accurate? if so the is amazing MPG!:)

Thanks for all your help.

Shaun

That whirring sound- does it happen when the driver's door is opened?

If so, then it's the pump for the dual-logic gearbox building pressure in the system so the actuators are ready to move as soon as the engine fires.

You'll also hear it every so often with the engine running, more so if you're making lots of gear selections. Perfectly normal.

(y)

That whirring sound- does it happen when the driver's door is opened?

If so, then it's the pump for the dual-logic gearbox building pressure in the system so the actuators are ready to move as soon as the engine fires.

You'll also hear it every so often with the engine running, more so if you're making lots of gear selections. Perfectly normal.

(y)

Thanks it is definetly that.

However the Climate control does not seem to be working right and all, if I put in on auto and put temperature at 34c the fan stays on 2 bars only and only heats very slowly at the feet, therefore car does not get hot at all.

Had I better get it booked into the dealer?

Thanks

Shaun

34c? Ours doesn't go up that high...Once you go past about 25c (?) it goes to HI...

The AUTO function does seem a bit weird though....For no apparent reason the fan sometimes cranks right up and blasts you with air...Other times it does nothing for ages!

I guess it's monitoring the inside temperature and then it makes changes as and when it needs to. If you open a window or something the inside temperature can change quite quickly and cause the AUTO to kick in in an attemot to keep up?

Daz

Sorry it was a typo

Mine goes up to 32c but even with all the windows open the fans never crank up and still stay on 2 or 3 bars only.

In my 45 minute journey into work today I had it set at 32c and auto all the time (windows shut) and the car barely got warm and only ever put lukewarm air out slowly at my feet?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Shaun

Just a remote chance but you don't have anything covering the sensor do you?

What happens if you put it on HI (ie go past the max 32c) ?

Daz

Just a remote chance but you don't have anything covering the sensor do you?

What happens if you put it on HI (ie go past the max 32c) ?

Daz

Hi

If I put in on high the fan goes up to 2 bars from top but still doesn't feel very powerful, just blows air to the feet only and doesn't really heat up the car?

Is there only 1 sensor (just below the climate controls) or is there others ie in the the footwells as I did have new mats fitted onto the car before picking it up at the weekend?

Many Thanks

Shaun

You could be having a problem with your climate control.
When I put my climate control on 25c (with outside temp. lower than that) mine goes to 5-6 bars and on HIGH it does as you say (stops 2 bars from the top).

But I'll test it tomorrow (we should be having temp. just under 15c).

Is there only 1 sensor (just below the climate controls) or is there others ie in the the footwells as I did have new mats fitted onto the car before picking it up at the weekend?

Many Thanks

Shaun

As far as I know that's the only one.

Me again!

Have got another update.

The fan is not working at all!!! I have realised that all I could feel was the air coming in while car is moving, if I press the recirculation button or when the car is stationary there is no air movement at all, even if the fan is on highest setting!

Have checked the fuse and it is ok???

Thanks

Shaun

That's fuse F08 in the engine bay fusebox, rated 30 Amp?

If that's ok it points to either a faulty fan, or maybe the resistor which provides the various fan speeds. There is also usually a calibration procedure for the ECU to learn the limits of the flaps inside, if yours is stuck on the 'floor' setting this could be what it needs.

Your best choice of action is to book it back in to the dealer (annoying I know- but with winter coming you're gonna want the heat!)

regarding the heater - there's posts on the forum saying that its not the usual hot water circulation heater but that its electric -like a fan heater in fact.
can someone confirm this is correct, might explain why the first time I used it ever (today) & it smelled of burning paint lol

Back