Technical Qubo Multijet Dualogic Gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Qubo Multijet Dualogic Gearbox

SteveW52

Greetings Fiat fans!

After several years of driving cars with conventional automatic gearboxes, I am now deeply tempted to purchase a Qubo with Dualogic gearbox. However, I am informed by Fiat Central Control that no auto box Qubo is available to test drive in the entire UK. Tricky, as I have never driven a car with a Dualogic gearbox. I, therefore, crave on your good selves to give me advice on this gearbox with particular reference to smoothness of operation (I realise it probably won't be as smooth as a conventional 'slush' box), reliability, longevity (I will probably do 80k in this car) and ease of use.

It does seem strange to advertise and show in brochure the gearbox in question, but not to have one for potential customers to test drive!!

I hope this message will be read by some kind soul who can advise me on the merits or demerits of Dualogic and help me make my choice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

SteveW52 :bang:

There are loads and loads of threads about this - have you tried the the Search function? :)

The Dualogic has, IMHO, virtually no downsides - albeit you'll feel it change gear more than a slushbox. It will suit the Qubo very well I think. Buy one, and let us know what it's like!

I test drove a Qubo Dualogic yesterday. I have to say that I loved the engine and box. They seem to make an excellent combination in the Qubo. The one I drove only had 300 miles on the clock and the MPG meter said avg 35mpg. Presumably this will get a LOT better after a few more miles.

This months MMM magazine (motorhome mag) has tested the Citroen Nemo (same car) with the 1.4HDi engine and got 60mpg. The Fiat 1.3 multijet has 5 more BHP and loads more torque than the Citroen engine.

I will say though that the box is far better if you use manual option rather than auto, particularly if you want to pull away quickly as the changes arent exactly rapid. I also question the longer term reliability of these boxes though, the hydraulic control unit seems to give trouble.

I dont think we'll be getting one though as we found the seats too firm and the ride rather jittery. I think another testdrive in a manual 1.3 multijet this time will be in order though as everything else ticks the right boxes....

The seats and ride will be the same.
Remember, in a year's time all these engines will have been uprated to give decent power and better economy. Are you in such a hurry?
I would expect the economy to improve with time, but a small engine being flogged to keep up with the traffic will never be as economical as a lazier more powerful unit working well within its limits.

Funny isn't it. I haven't driven the Qubo yet, but I found the seat and the seating position to be extremely comfortable. I could find an ideal position re the wheel, pedals, handbrake and gear lever.

Last edited:
I had read that there is likely to be a power upgrade at some point in the future and we're in no rush. There is a powerbox type upgrade that quotes some interesting BHP and torque figures, any experience??

We have been a bit spoilt over the last few years with some super comfortable Citroens with the hydaulic suspension and big wide supportive seats. The Fiat seats are no worse than any other modern car we've tried so it wasnt really a major criticism of the Qubo.

Driving position is good, although i've only tried the model with the adjustable steering column and height adjustable seat.

Like i said, i really like it and 'want' one so I think we'll try and another and see if we can adopt our expectations of the ride and seats.

Reading more into the Dualogic though i think i'd be getting a manual as there are quite a few people on this forum with less than sparkling experiences.

I think it will get the high torque, high economy Multijet2 1.3 95 before the end of the year. And there is also a new Doblo coming in September, with the 1.6 Diesel as well as the revised 1.3, and more space than the Qubo.
At present the Qubo is simply too expensive for what it offers. I like it a lot, but not with the current engines at the current prices. The base version without A/C and properly adjustable seats isn't worth looking at IMHO.

And yes, there are new gearboxes coming soon, but not, as far as i am aware, for the lowest powered engined which will continue with the Dualogic.

Hi there, I've got a duologic multijet Qubo which I've had since January. Generally, I love it. The only problem is that occasionally when pulling out of a junction it is very slow to pick up, it is almost like an anti-stall kicks in. Otherwise, can't see why anyone would want a manual version.

In 4.500 miles, I've averaged 43.5mpg with fairly careful driving and the economy system on although it is very hilly where we live. Motorway speeds will lower that to nearer 38.

Hope this helps.

DON'T HAVE ONE .

The Duel logic box is a pain in the a***E I've owned a IDEA for 6 weeks and in that time it's broke down twice each time its the gear box!

Great cars but have the manual, its with the main dealers now I'm waiting to find out what the problem is?

Regards , Mark

I think the duologic suffers from people who dont know how to drive it, e,g like a standard auto and slipping the clutch continually, and also some genuine failures of expensive parts. But there are lots out there and I would like to think much like the Alfa Selespeed they have been developed further.

I read somewhere, maybe on here that the duologic Qubo has a 6 speed box rather than the 5sp like the manual giving a far higher and more economical top gear.

Back