General Qubo - Brain Dead!

Currently reading:
General Qubo - Brain Dead!

brom

Bought a new Qubo in January - a 1.3Multijet, probably the very last one registered, in June 2020. It had minimal miles (still has - just 1371 as of yesterday, as it's used by the Missus, and is intended as a long-term replacement for my ancient Dobbie).
She loves the Qubo, and it seemed just what we needed - UNTIL, in June, while driving home, a warning bleep sounded, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, and warninsg scrolled across the display.
'Satrat/Stop unavailable', Hill Assist unavailable', Tyre Pressure Monitor unavailable', 'ASR unavailable' etc.
We limped home (power dropped to non-turbo level), and called the Roadside Assistance.
That's a different thread!

However, when we came to try to start the car again, the dashboard showed something like 'Fuel Cut-out', and wouldn't turn over at all.

The Recovery man cleared the fault, loaded the Qubo up, and took it off to the nearest dealer, 30 miles away in Preston. Where the Qubo stayed for the next three weeks awaiting a new brain - the whole engine management computer was malfunctioning.

We eventually retrieved the repaired Qunbo three weeks ago, since when it has been used three times, the last time yesterday, when it did a 100 mile run. On the way out it was grand; on the way back, my wife noticed it was a bit sluggish, but put it down to a headwind. However, on the motorway, the same warning beep, same Christmas tree on the dash, same scrolling warnings, same limp mode.

We got home, and the same recovery man came out and took it away to Preston. I took photos of the readings from his diagnostic lap-top - four major faults, and no cambus.

Anyone else suffered similar problems? Any suggestions?

Must say, we are becoming very concerned - once is happenstance, but twice seems like carelessness! The main concern is the 'Fuel Cutout', which would render the car undriveable. Fortunately, the car is under warranty, but it has to be reliable (like all the Dobbies we've had).

I have posted some phone numbers I consider important for anyone with a Fiat under warranty, in the Forum under this heading - General > Lets Talk FIAT > Problems with Roadside Assistance.

As the Roadside Assistance telephone number given in the warranty booklet doesn't necessarily work if called from a mobile phone (and who has a landline available after a roadside breakdown?!), these numbers could be very useful, so I suggest they be written in the warranty booklet/ mobile phone contacts list .

Update - the Fiat dealership now say the fault was a loose connection in a wire/faulty wire 'behind the dashboard'.
They have, they say, replaced that, and this has, they say, '100% repaired the problem'.

So we have the Qubo back, and it is - so far - running very nicely.

Given the two sets of symptoms were identical, it makes you wonder whether the replacement of the Engine Control Module under warranty was completely unnecessary?

Fingers crossed....

As soon as I read "warning beep ... dash lit up like a Christmas tree", I thought, poor connection or low battery voltage, simple diagnosis, potentially time-consuming to track down the culprit.

There are frequently similar threads on here, all with similar symptoms, and all inevitably caused by either a failing battery, or poor connections. These problems are usually on older vehicles, and main battery cables can corrode internally, but unusual on a 'new' vehicle. The amount of time this vehicle has spent unused could be a contributory factor.

When you explained that the main computer had been replaced, I was sceptical, but at least the dealer has had to do the diagnosis properly this time, and may well not get paid for the previous repair, as manufacturers generally will not pay for incorrect repairs, so hopefully they'll have learnt something.

This car obviously sat around with little use for some time before you bought it, and your own use is infrequent. These are ideal conditions for poor connection problems. This does not mean that you should now worry about future failures, as the current problem has now been rectified, but if any strange electrical events occur, think connections and voltage first.

This little diesel will have a particulate filter(DPF), and these need to regenerate regularly. This requires the engine to be at full operating temp, and running consistently, so out of town, not variable speed traffic. It needs a regular run, like your recent trip, although maybe not 100 miles. Keep an eye on the DPF warning light, and when it demands a regen, don't ignore it, give it a good run, and keep going until it is happy. A forced regen, or worse a replacement DPF are expenses that are easily avoided.

If you wife is to use this car infrequently, perhaps you should give it a run at least once a week, if you do a regular commute or journey.

With such light use, consider an oil and filter change twice as often as the recommended interval.

Wise words indeed - thank you!

We always try to ensure that, when the Qubo is used, it is used properly, and given a brisk workout over a decent distance - at least twenty miles. Last night's run was sixty miles, over hill and dale, and hopefully that should keep it happy and contented for a few days. Even so, my wife did say she felt it was a little 'breathless' when accelerating hard, so that is slightly concerning - even though there were no warning lights! This is our fourth Fiat 1.3 Multijet, and the others performed well over many thousands of miles.

This latest Qubo is said to need a service every 2 years/20,000 miles, which is far too long a period, in our opinion, for any car. I quite agree with what you say about more frequent oil and filter changes, and will be booking our Qubo in at our local, 'proper' (general - not Fiat) garage for a change (using Fiat parts only) in the next week or so, despite its low mileage.

Thanks for your advice.

Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot all made in Turkey I believe.

All on a Fiat platform however, or certainly Fiat Switch gear and electronics.

Touch wood in 2 years only issue with Dad's 2009 Qubo is a failed selespeed pump motor a few months back, eventually managed to get it removed and rather than £400 for a new once from Fiat managed to find out its the same unit used on certain Citroens. Managed to get a used one for £70 delivered.

That said in 2 years of ownership we've only done 4k miles in it.

Back