Technical Punto won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Punto won't start

jt2

I have been out of the country for a few weeks over the Christmas, and when I got back I found that my Punto (55SX) won't start. I assumed it was a flat battery, so I recharged it with a battery recharger I got from Halfords. The green light on the recharger (indicating that the battery ought to be ready) came on after only about 20 minutes, which I thought was odd (should I have kept recharging longer?). I put the battery back in but still no luck! It may also be worth meantioning that the head lights are OK, so there must be some charge left... Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

is the starter motor turning slowly or not at all? it sounds like the battery may have died while standing over xmas. i found on my motorbike (i know not the same but eh) when it needed a new battery it would turn the engine over fine but it just wouldnt catch and when i put it on charge the light to indecate it was charged would come on, but the battery would soon run down from pushing the starter. Try jump starting the engine off another car and see if that will start it, if it does get a new bat.

It's turning, slowly, I think. I hear a sound from the engine which I assume is the starter, and it does sound more painful than usually.

sounds like the battery is gone then, try jumpstarting it off another car. or just buy a new battery.

Jack c said:
sounds like the battery is gone then, try jumpstarting it off another car. or just buy a new battery.

That's what I was afraid of, but I thought it's strange that the headlights and the windscreen wipers work normally. If the battery was dead, wouldn't this mean that the lights wouldn't come on? They must be getting power from somewhere? Or could it be that there's enough life in the battery to power these but not to start the engine?

thefishdude said:
you say you hear a sound from the engine? is it the normal car trying to start sound or is it a faster higher pitch whir sound or a click click sound. the last two relate to possible starter motor problems.

deffinatly try a jump start if that works then irt was a battery problem.

No, it's the normal sound I think. Normally you hear it just for a second before the engine starts (so I'm thinking it's the starting motor), but now it isn't followed by the engine starting, and there are no clicks, just the constant sound that continues as long as I hold the key on ignition. It's not high in pitch, just the low usual sound.

I had the same problem last year just after chrismas when it was snowing. I'd go to charge the battery, but the charger said it was fine. The lights and wippers worked, but the car wouldn't start, but it would make a ticking noise like it was trying to start. I just bought a new battery and it was fine after that. Haven't had any problems since the battery change. Has started fine every time even during the snow a few weeks back.

Back