General Punto W reg choke problem?

Currently reading:
General Punto W reg choke problem?

Hayles20

Hey guys,

Signed up in hope of some advice with a problem I've got with my W reg 1.2 Punto.

I am using the car to commute to university 3 times a week and so need it to be in working order. I'm travelling from Derby to Sheffield via the M1.

I was in the car on Monday morning when I hit crawling traffic on the M1 due to an accident. The car had been fine and acting normal but when I hit the stop-start traffic and put my handbrake on the car began to rev up and down all on it's own, my foot wasn't on the accelerator pedal.

I checked if the floor mats were catching but that wasn't the problem, so I turned the car off and then on again and the revving carried on. As most of you probably know these cars don't have a revometer but from ear it sounded like the car was revving from 1500rpm idle to around 3500rpm and then back down again. The car was not over revving when I was moving and when I started moving the car seemed fine, this problem only occured when the car was idle.

I have had a new headgasket, water pump and thermometer fitted this summer and therefore this problem has led me to think it could be the automatic choke or choke sensor that is broken.

The revving happened again when I was stationary in stop start traffic the other day, so I revved the car heavily once, and this seemed to fix the problem!

So my question is, if it is the automatic choke that is broken what does that mean? What parts could I need to replace or fix?

Also does the car sound safe for me to keep driving whilst I arrange with my uncle (a mechanic) to take the car into the garage?

Any help is much appreciated, as a woman I'm not too good with car problems and my uncle isn't being very helpful in giving me information at the moment.

Thanks in advance :)

As dave said. Give the throttle body a clean up and the butterfly valve, with some WD40 to keep it smooth. If not could possibly be the MAF sensor?

We do get this asked alot but never paid too much attention to the threads :p
A search should bring up quite a few results

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Ahh okay, I didn't know that it was injection, a woman's knowledge can only go so far!

I'll mention the above to my uncle as I'm really not that great with cars and see what he says. I'll also use to learn the search function in the forums, a search on google brought this forum up but with no specific threads but I will search more now!

:)

Back