Punto (Mk2/2b) Punto Speedgear Automatic 2005

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Punto Speedgear Automatic 2005

niddman41

Hi to all !
Totally new hear but always love reading about cars but still prefer the ones where I could take the engine out on Saturday morning and put it back on Sunday without all these bl...dy electronics :bang:

I bought a standard Fiat Punto in 2000 still got it , 100.115 miles no problems since purchase. cannot hear the engine it is so quiet, love it.

Just bought the Fiat Punto automatic Speedgear 2005, 22500 miles on the clock (bought it for my wife) great condition (The car not my wife) :worship:
but it started being a bit difficult to get it out of PARK, now stuck in my garage in "PARK"

I had some rear parking sensors fitted before I bought it and I suspect that it may have some relevance with the problem.

Any boffins out there with minds like Stephen hawkins !

Check the brake light switch. There's an interlock that prevents it from coming out of park unless brakes are on, so a duff switch will cause this sort of issue.
Whilst doing that, ensure that the rear lamps are all working correctly, with all on at once, sidelights/tailights, hazards, rear fog and brakes. There can be earthing issues, and trying all at once can show this as they fight. Check the connectors to the rear lamps, they can burn.

Thanks Bill, now sorted :) Not sure which one it was but checked them all as far as I could and and cleaned everything, so it could have been an earth fault, but at least I can go back to it if it occurs again.
Bonus is that my wife is happy, which saves me cooking at least !
Cheers and thanks again.

Back