Hi Newbie mk2 Panda automatic

Currently reading:
Hi Newbie mk2 Panda automatic

Microbike

Hi there! I’ve bought this 2008 45k Panda semi-automatic (for my daughter who’s got an auto license) yesterday and given a good clean up. I’ve booked it in with my local independent garage for a service on Thursday, as it’s got a gap of 2 years in the service book, and so I’ve asked for a full service. Q: would you recommend I ask them to check / change the auto gearbox (transmission) oil? I’ve had 2 auto boxes go bad on me over the years (to be fair they were overheating lugging caravans, this car won’t be doing that!) so don’t want the same for her. Also, anything else you’d recommend the garage check/change? Thanks 🙏

IMG_0913.jpeg

Hi welcome to the forums nice little car you have got her there!
auto fluid yes get it changed! small fiats are quite sensitive to bad fluid and of course it will accelerate wear so worth doing!
get them to test the coolant strength and if in doubt change that as well!
ask them to check the charging rate for the battery to make sure alternator is up to scratch!
As your having a full service i assume that the plugs and air filter are being done? if not make sure to ask for them specifically! also i always find it a good idea to check the handbook for the oil specification and then ask the garage what oil they are going to be using! if they know what they are doing hopefully it will match! if not then are ya gonna trust em!?.
thats about all i can think of for starters! let use know how it goes and how she gets on with the car!
stay safe & good luck.

Hi there! I’ve bought this 2008 45k Panda semi-automatic (for my daughter who’s got an auto license) yesterday and given a good clean up. I’ve booked it in with my local independent garage for a service on Thursday, as it’s got a gap of 2 years in the service book, and so I’ve asked for a full service. Q: would you recommend I ask them to check / change the auto gearbox (transmission) oil? I’ve had 2 auto boxes go bad on me over the years (to be fair they were overheating lugging caravans, this car won’t be doing that!) so don’t want the same for her. Also, anything else you’d recommend the garage check/change? Thanks 🙏

View attachment 435782
Hi 🙂

It's not an Auto. Box 😉

It's a manual gearbox, at 45K may as well get that changed,

Get them to LOOK At the Selespeed fluid for the ROBOT, but without the software to drive the ROBOT, probably best they don't tinker 🤔

Lovely to drive, blips throttle on downshifts, But complex and can get expensive in later life,

I bought as very similar panda for my elderly mother, but she needed a torque converter auto, we only kept it 2 months

Last edited:
VITAL that only selespeed fluid is used in the "robot" that operates the clutch and gearbox . It is not a normal auto box , it is an automated manual box.

Selespeed fluid ONLY in the robot nothing else.

Cam belt and water pump etc last changed?
Very nice of you to buy daughter a car (-:

Just for the mentally challenged amongst us out here!:rolleyes: could some one define🤓the term"robot" as applied to these these "auto" gearboxes- what is it? what does it do? and why is it called "robot" just asking keep hearing the term applied to duologic boxes in 500,s so would like to know! to expand my some what limited knowledge!🤔

Just for the mentally challenged amongst us out here!:rolleyes: could some one define🤓the term"robot" as applied to these these "auto" gearboxes- what is it? what does it do? and why is it called "robot" just asking keep hearing the term applied to duologic boxes in 500,s so would like to know! to expand my some what limited knowledge!🤔

Ok 🙂
Fiat have used Torque converter Autos up to the 1980's

they developed a French CVT with Ford, mid 80's,
Uno and Tipo 1 litre and 1600 cars

(this had a 2nd generation with electronic control, Japanese also joined the users.. Micra and early Yaris IIRC)

Then... for emissions..
Most small cars got Semi. Autos
So 2002+

A manual gearbox.. For manual levels of fuel economy 😉
And a hydraulic system, controlled by electronics, that works the manual clutch And changes gear

Some blip the throttle on downshifts 😎
Alfa paddle shift as a prime example (called Selespeed), ala Ferrari.. 😉

There are methods of Relearning the clutch bite point, and "burping" the hydraulic system - all using the laptop driven software

So people call it A Robot, as that's basically a computer controlled hydraulic mechanism

Costly issues are the Pressure Vessel, and the pump motor

Garages had a habit of saying its not serviceable, and fit a £3k new system
😕

There Is a "bad news thread" in the 500 section

And a positive and informative thread in the Punto section

I've had expensive issues with every form of auto box (Ford being worst..)

As people say, it's often potluck 🙂

Last edited:
Indeed,👍
these are termed 'semi-auto' technically, as its got no part lock it rolls on hills, and won't creep, needs your foot on the throttle building revs
(But are classed as Auto for UK licence holders)

I had a Modern 7 Speed DSG German thing, it worked like a torque converter 🙂, would creep and park lock,

but 'got lost' travelling down hills kept changing down and Revs were uncomfortably high, 🫣
these are no cheaper to fix And more costly to service.. 🤔

Back