Technical Punto model '94 powersteering dead

Currently reading:
Technical Punto model '94 powersteering dead

Drakandar

Hi folks :)

This is my first post here, so please be gentle XD

Anyways, I'm hoping to get some info here about the powersteering unit of the Punto '94 model as ours died two weeks ago. We were on vacation on Luxemburg when the problem first occured. If the engine is on temperature, powersteering becomes increasingly unstable. Even to the point when you have no powersteering at all and you're literally doing a workout on the steeringwheel. If we switch to L (automatic) and push the throttle, then it switches back 'on'.. Sometimes only half.. But atleast we were getting something..

Now we went to the garage and they blame the steeringhouse for it, but it kinda feels weird though.. Why would it work one time and break down the other time? They estimated costs for repair somewhere between the 1200 and 1500 dollar.. The car isn't worth that anymore.. and it's like problem 4 in a row.. But the thing is, we fixed all those other problems and that also costed a lot, so we don't want to give up just yet..

As you might know, the powersteering in the Punto is fully mechanical/preasurrized,.. And my questions are:
- Is their assumption plausible.. I mean.. the steering house, isn't that all solid metal and stuff?
- Isn't there a preasure-valve somewhere that can cause this behaviour? It sounds much more logical to me...
- Isn't it possible to disable the powersteering completely? Ya know, remove the pistons from the steering plate or anything.. ? And w/o having the risc that it will completely block at one day?

I hope someone can help me out...

Last edited:
Back