Technical Punto Headunit Wiring - What Wires Are What?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Headunit Wiring - What Wires Are What?

mine does exactly the same, have to take face off or switch it off on headunit

i can see no other way round this as fiat only give you 1 power feed , as im not an electronic person i can't give you any other solutions :(

Yea I see what you mean mate

I have put it in as it is at the mo, it doesnt seem too bad, it will just encourage me to make sure I take the face plate with me when I leave the car ;)

Cheers for your help with this mate (y)

Who knew changing a stereo with universal connectors could be made so difficult by fiat!

Last edited:
well you could run a second ignition live to the head unit. not a big job

Sorry to be a dumb ass, but I've only just got my stereo working (finally!) by joining together the yellow and red wires using the bullet connector just before the wires go into the stereo. But how does the factory fitted stereo respond to the ignition when it only has one power lead?

But can someone, if not custard, please elaborate on this idea of running a second ignition wire, where it would go and briefly how it would work?

I'm really chuffed I can now play CDs in my car, but its bugging the hell out of me that the stereo is PERMANENTLY on. Its just going to drain the battery!
On a side issue regarding permanent power as its set up now, does removing the fascia from the stereo power it down, meaning it uses less electricity?

Any ideas, hints or advice would be very well appreciated.

Most modern headunits have a standby mode, when you turn them off/ standby they are using very little power, the radio is certainly not on. Although i'm aware of some that only go on standby when the faceplate is removed (i think people have mentioned Sony ones on here). I have a JVC and its v happy in my MK 1.

With the point i mention above there is no need to cut the power to the unit because the unit is using less power than a computer monitor on standby probably. If you did however want to run it to the ignition you'd have to have some idea what wires do what - probably looking at wires that come from the steering column from ignition, although I don't know how it distinguishes between On and Accessory if that matters with radios? Someone put a good guide on here about wiring alarms that might have info on how ignition is wired.

/\ Thanks mate.
What I wonder is how the blaupunkt units that come with the car can be turned on and off with the power button, but also come on and off with the ignition when there is apparantly only one power wire coming from the car to the stereo. There must be an ignition wire somewhere you could wire through to the aftermarket stereo ignition wire.

It is my understanding that the body computer controls the power to the radio, so as the ignition is switched off the computer will switch off power to radio immediately or after a set period. This may need the CAN line from the computer through the radio though.

Removing the faceplate while the radio is on sounds a bad idea to me, micro electronics do not like spikes in supply which this practice could produce.

I found this thread looking for advice on this single 12v supply which Fiat use, after much reading and thought I feel a simple way of doing it would be to use a 'Scotchlok' http://www.autowirez.co.uk/20-blue-scotchlok-connectors-pr-40.html to join the two 12V wires on the radio loom just after the ISO plug, that way both wires pick up the single 12v Fiat feed are still protected by their own fuse and the loom is undamaged for later selling on, disregard the colours quoted on some threads as mine appear to be Red and Orange, just use the labels.

I will hopefully be fitting a CD in the next few days.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats basically what i've done I think with the red and yellow wires. They are joined on the stereo side of the iso connection wire. The fiat connection wires remain unchanged.
I suppose it makes sense that the factory fitted units must use the can wires to know when to power on and off with the ignition, because those are the only wires left that could do that! Unfortunately, unless anyone else has any bright ideas, we're pretty stuck in terms of having our aftermarkets come on and off with the ignition.

I would also agree with you about the face plates. Simply popping them off whilst the stereo is on would probably mess up the electronics eventually, but I dont think that was really the issue we were talking about, since you just have to turn the unit 'off' with the power button first.
The main problem we were talking about was to do with, if you leave the faceplate on and the stereo off, the stereo is still using power. Mine says 'All Off' on the screen constantly, and its this 'standby' which is the problem in terms of battery consumption. The question was, if you remove the stereo faceplate, does the stereo power off 'more completely' (if that makes sense) and consume less battery?

I work away alot, and dont want to be coming back home after a week to find the car is dead due to the stereo.

Back