Technical Punto gearbox noise?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto gearbox noise?

joesmith88

Hi, I'm looking at a good bargain on a Punto Sporting apart from the fact that it has a bad point...

This being that the gearbox makes a noise while driving, apaerntly it doesnt happen while the clutch is down, and happens in 2nd and 3rd gear, and slightly in 4th, still drives fine but apperntly needs changing,

Your faughts/experience
thanks
Joe

Imo keep looking around unless you want to spend out on it already. Could be expensive to fix (gearbox/clutch etc) also may have other faults about to show up.

Last edited:
I would say you would have to allow for the worse case scenario cost ( clutch & gearbox by the sounds of it ) and then decide if it is any better than one you can get for the same sort of money.

I bought mine recently knowing it definitely needed a clutch and possibly a gearbox so allowed for both before deciding it was still worth buying. Also depends if you can do the work yourself like i did. The clutch kit was £45 and a second hand gearbox was £30 so after things like gearbox oil etc were added to the cost it still came to under £100 and about 10 hours of my time.

Sounds like the drive output bearing has gone in the gearbox. Will need a new box atleast. Take £300 off the price and it might be worth it!

Can you describe the noise? I had a noise in second, third and fourth for a while when I got my MK2 Active. It turned out that there was just no fluid in the gearbox, so I had it drained and topped up. Took a couple of weeks but its fine now, can't hear a thing.

The only way I can describe the noise I had is like a cog skipping on another one, a sort of ticking sound when i'm engine breaking in those gears.

Most probably that noise is the input shaft bearing. If you dont have sound knowledge on mechanics dont suggest you open the box your self.

I changed it on my gearbox and it eliminated the noise completly.

Good luck..

my gearbox is having abit of a funny turn aswell..how much is one for a 1.2 8v?...im just gona plan for the worst so i wont be shocked :(

i got a new g/box for my 1.2 8v for £225supplied and fitted.i had already bought a clutch kit and they fitted that for free as they had everything out anyway

Can you describe the noise? I had a noise in second, third and fourth for a while when I got my MK2 Active. It turned out that there was just no fluid in the gearbox, so I had it drained and topped up. Took a couple of weeks but its fine now, can't hear a thing.

The only way I can describe the noise I had is like a cog skipping on another one, a sort of ticking sound when i'm engine breaking in those gears.

same here mate. Just tell me, does it change with driving speed? I suppose so.

Back