Technical punto clutch judder

Currently reading:
Technical punto clutch judder

cyclingjed

we have just bought a 53 plate punto but have noticed that there is a clutch judder in reverse and in 1st gear ,any one out ther with a simmilar problem ?

jcwhitehead

yup, me too (1.2 yr 2000), garage says maybe a warped clutch plate. says the clutch mounts are fine, can't do anything about it without taking it out which means a new clutch and wot? £300 quid bill??? its intermittant, and when it does judder the only thing you can do is dip the clutch or floor the gas. any ideas anyone???

it was a new clutch last year aswell due to a fault with the gearbox.

arent puntos great??

loads of puntos with judder, Fiat are investigating the cause and will not renew any parts under warranty at the moment, if you slip the cluch a bit it will get rid of the judder for a while:D

But they ( TESEO) are telling the dealers to record the customers details and not to renew anything coz the fix is not long term so you may or maynot experiance the judder again

Well this happened in april 2003?? i think neway. i went and told the dealers and they immediatly said yes weve had a few puntos with clutch problems and booked me in.
Ive been in about 3-4 times for clutch warranty jobs from juddering to clicking. Still isnt right now :(

EVERYONE- SPRAY YOUR PUNTOS BLACKDavid

I have a 98 1.2 sporting. It used to judder everytine in first, but it had a full service over the weekend, new timing belt and water pump, and now it doesn't judder! In fact, every gear change feels solid and tru! I will ask the mechanic,( afriend of mine) what he did this time and report back.

Black MK1 Punto Sporting

Unfortunately, he didn't do anything special. He thinks that the tune and the service may have corrected any uneven engine running which may have caused the juddering!!

Black MK1 Punto Sporting

We have 3 Fiats in the family, 2004 - stilo JTD Multiwagon, 2005 - Idea MJet - Dynamic. The newest addition is a 2002 Punto 1.2, 8v (60 BHP) 63K on clock, for my partner. After a week of driving, she had came in and told me that the car was juddering really bad when taking off in 1st gear and reverse. I took it up the road and and yes it was bad judder. Have owned Fiats for many years and worked on all my car I decided to investigate, such an easy engine to work on, removed gearbox, clutch ok, bearing, flywheel fine. Checked all hydraulics pressure fine. Reassembled and judder disappeared for a while (10 days). On the 11th day reappeared as bad as it ever had been. I sat down and thought for many days, thinking about the problem and after deducting several theories, my conclusion was that the problem lay with the hydraulics that operate the clutch mechanism, the system shares the same resivior as the braking system, so ensuring fluid stays topped up is very important. Any way I completeling drained the hydraulics for the clutch from the resivoir to the master cylinder to the slave cylinder on the gearbox. I also done the same to all 4 brakes. I had read an article on Dot 3 and Dot 4 Brake/Clutch fluid produding air bubbles and water vapour under heat. This reduces the efficience of the fluid, not so noticable in the brakes, but I beleive that noticable in the clutch and a strong contender for the clutch judder. I replenshed my system with a good quality DOT 4 brake/clutch fluid and it has been problem free for weeks. The judder is a common problem with the smaller engine punto's, is the problem in the fluid that Fiat put in, or lack of maintenance, as fluid replacement is a service items at specific intervals. Please - If you are going to bleed your system and Brakes, please, please take advice, Haynes manuals show a good how to, but dont mess with the Hydraulics if you are unsure of what you are doing, as this is Clutch and BRAKES.

So, we are to assume that good servicing using Dot 4 brake and clutch fluid is the answer to juddering clutch problem !!!! I will reply with my verdict after my service on my 2013 reg T-Jet Black Punto??

Back