Punished for Driving well and having a weak cc engine!

Currently reading:
Punished for Driving well and having a weak cc engine!

i pay almost 4 grand a year on a 1.2 8v , its my first year of driving but thats still apauling tbh , im 18 years old and im a decent driver not crashed never had any problems with speed cameras but yet because half the people in the uk dont pay for insurance i have to pay this much because of my age

i wont be on 500 quid a year untill im atleast 28 or buy a castle somewhere with no public roads with a 10 mile radius , onestly i am bord with the uk and the goverments policys

no where else in the world would you pay this crazy price for such a low powerd car , weather iv been driving only 1 year or not

correct me if im wrong but isn't that because you wont go anywhere other then Liverpool Victoria?

My insurance was going to increase if I kept it in a garage. So on the street it stays.

Insurance premiums have increased around 25% in the last year. The insurance companies say they have to increase premiums, why? to cover uninsured drivers? What about these uninsured drivers do they pay out for? Someone being hit by one, and instead having to claim on their own policy? Surely if the other person was insured too the money would still come from an insurance company... The money being paid out is the same, just from a different company so it probably balances out across the whole inductry. So we can only assume the money they get in has decreased significantly to cover the payments out - but does anyone believe over the last year there has been a 25% increase in the number of uninsured drivers?

I'm afraid their arguements do not stand up to scrutiny, but who would argue the case for the british public against the profit for the insurance company shareholders?

I can't understand where the premiums and prices are coming from, from the right company i got really good premiums and package from day 1 of driving.

I paid £1600 on a Nissan Micra K11 1.0, and this year with 1 years NCB i'm paying £1000 on a Fiat Marea 1.6 which is certainly the drop i was hoping for.

But this is from my current provider, at the moment when i was looking for quotes for the marea i was still pulling up quotes from 2000-4000 when trying to insure myself on the Marea, but how i'm not sure?

It really is a punishment, Uk needs to get a grip (Petrol prices stink too).

And what about high earning sole traders or high earning employees who take a car allowance, for example? Not every 'flash' car is a company car :rolleyes:

I don't think you have fully grasped the risk of insurance with your "cheap car therefore I demand a cheap policy" talk :)

yes i realise that, however i think u fail to see my point. if i have a mercedes c200 which i do. my insurnce is £25 less than my cinq sporting the value of my merc is 5x the amount. i drive the way i drive regardless of what car i'm in.

how does my insurance work out cheaper than the other. the liabilties should be the same

I thought they offered one policy which covers all the cars you want to add to it, so how are you able to differentiate the split between each car...

If you are unduly bothered, speak to their customer services, whom I am sure will give you the answer you are looking for :)

I thought they offered one policy which covers all the cars you want to add to it, so how are you able to differentiate the split between each car...

If you are unduly bothered, speak to their customer services, whom I am sure will give you the answer you are looking for :)

i also have another car on there so if you remove one car or another from the policy u can work out what the difference is.

Price of the car doesn't really matter, you can still do thousands of pounds of damage in a £500 car and a £500,000 car.

But surely in either a £500 car or a £500,000 car the insurance also has the damage to that car to pay for (assuming it's fully comp) so the cheaper car SHOULD have cheaper insurance. I know it doesn't because there are other factors but theoretically speaking it should.

I've often found fully comprehensive to be cheaper than 3rd party by a couple of hundred pounds (£1200 policy), might be that a lot of people are buying cars for a few hundred pounds, getting 3rd party cover and driving like t***s because they know they can just get another cheap car.

Mine is also going up
Even though i've added another NCD to the total

Tbh for me, the valve of the insurance has been the value of my car
But i've noticed next year it wont be :bang:

I Too think the UK law needs clamping seriously down
The punishment isn't enough
A Unisured driver in a Clapped out banger gets another banger and is back doing what he did before!

I'd all for Harder punishments, if you cant get legal - get off the road
My problem is, I couldnt get legal, i've got Nowhere to leave my car once i've declared it as off the road :(

Ziggy

Insurance companies have a captive audience so can, and will, charge whatever they like.

I believe that ambulance chasing personal injury lawyers are largely to blame.
A few years ago I was hit from behind by another car and duly informed my insurer (Churchill) for the next week I was bombarded with phonecalls from a personal injury lawyer trying to persuade me to claim for whiplash (which I didn't have) the lawyers were instructed by Churchill who get paid commision for referals. The bizzarest part was that the driver who hit me was also insured with Churchill who had instructed the lawyer to claim against themselves.

Try to see the logic in that

BTW I'm paying £275 fully comp for a (quite heavily) modified Mk2 Golf GTI, my daughter is paying £1500 fully comp on a 1.2 8v Punto

Last edited:
Completely agree, insurance for a 17 year old is what, £2,000ish? Get caught without insurance and its £200 fine and 6 points. Plus maybe £150 recovery fee...can get caught 6 or 7 times before its the same price.
The £200 fine is what you get in the areas where police issue fixed penalties. If it goes to court we are forced to take into account the defendants ability to pay. Given that most non insurance people have very little money its common to impose a fine of £30 or £40. High earners pay a lot more.

A fine is the most serious penalty courts are allowed to impose, we have been asking for years to be allowed to impose unpaid work. I think that 200 hours mucking out the local duck pond would be a lot more effective than £30 fine but the government disagree and are happy with the current situation.

The big punishment isn't really the fine its the points. Two no insurance in three years and its 12 points and 6 month totting up ban. Get caught driving while banned and unpaid work is the starting point for sentencing with jail a real possibility.

The £200 fine is what you get in the areas where police issue fixed penalties. If it goes to court we are forced to take into account the defendants ability to pay. Given that most non insurance people have very little money its common to impose a fine of £30 or £40. High earners pay a lot more.

A fine is the most serious penalty courts are allowed to impose, we have been asking for years to be allowed to impose unpaid work. I think that 200 hours mucking out the local duck pond would be a lot more effective than £30 fine but the government disagree and are happy with the current situation.

The big punishment isn't really the fine its the points. Two no insurance in three years and its 12 points and 6 month totting up ban. Get caught driving while banned and unpaid work is the starting point for sentencing with jail a real possibility.

If the Government disagree then they are obviously in on this scam.
Trouble is, it isn't really that easy to catch the dodgers - currently 1 in every 20 drivers. It's easy to buy a cheapie car off ebay & get a set of dodgy plates made up - and if you clone a reasonably local car belonging to an innocent, you'll never come to plod's attention, unless you happen to be on the mobile or not wearing a seatbelt etc
Whilst I'm not a great fan of big brother, I wonder if the system should be changed. Perhaps if insurance companies provided special 'keys' which have to be inserted into fuel pumps before fuel is allowed, perhaps adding, say, £50 onto the premium, making the 'key' into a prepay debit card (so speeding up time in the forecourt) - and the forecourt could utilise ANPR to check vehicle details against those stored on the 'key' - no key, no fuel, no excuses.
Every vehicle on the road should have a corresponding insurance premium. Even if someone is driving a car using the 3rd party option of their own policy, the vehicle itself should have its own cover

In theory driving whilst disqualified is imprisonable but it rarely ever happens, equally breaching a community punishment (unpaid work) order is no biggy in terms of sentencing.

I worked in the courts for five years and the sentences handed out were a joke.

Perhaps if insurance companies provided special 'keys' which have to be inserted into fuel pumps before fuel is allowed, perhaps adding, say, £50 onto the premium, making the 'key' into a prepay debit card (so speeding up time in the forecourt) - and the forecourt could utilise ANPR to check vehicle details against those stored on the 'key' - no key, no fuel, no excuses.

Yes good idea.

I'm sure the type of person who drives without insurance would never dream of stealing petrol from other people's cars if they couldn't buy it legitimately, nor would there become a market for people to sell petrol at a premium to those unable to buy it from petrol stations:confused:

Yes good idea.

I'm sure the type of person who drives without insurance would never dream of stealing petrol from other people's cars if they couldn't buy it legitimately, nor would there become a market for people to sell petrol at a premium to those unable to buy it from petrol stations:confused:

Yes, but with fuel prices ever increasing, we are bound to see a raft of fuel thefts from cars - already we see an increase in filling up & driving off under the guise of a pair of freshly stolen plates - so without the 'key' they couldn't even begin to fuel up. As for a black market in fuel, that already exists with huge numbers of vehicles driving round on red diesel & I suspect people selling petrol to uninsured (keyless) drivers will expect a huge return on their investment so possibly making it cheaper in the long run to just get insurance? Also, it's easy to buy a set of plates off ebay, not sure how easy it is to find a local fuel spiv though.

And why aren't car details scrutinised more closely? OK, there are millions of vehicles out there but computers have the capacity to check 100s of ANPR each minute - so how comes uninsured cars can even be around? As soon as insurance expires, a red flag should be raised on a central database (which I assume police, DVLA and insurance all subscribe to), so why isn't a local forced immediately informed of an uninsured vehicle registered on their patch? OK, so it takes people to go round there but why retire good officers early when they could be put to use for this sort of thing - especially if fines were set so high as to pay wages?
Last time I reported an untaxed car police fobbed me off onto DVLA, DVLA said it was a police matter and so on back & forth.

Also, (thinking about fuel theft from cars) as a point of interest, I wonder why fuel lines are still tacked up on the underside of cars? Lines & tanks are exposed? I've had cars 20 years old & no problem with leaky tanks or pipes, so why are they not run on the inside along special conduits and tanks installed from inside the vehicle?

But surely in either a £500 car or a £500,000 car the insurance also has the damage to that car to pay for (assuming it's fully comp) so the cheaper car SHOULD have cheaper insurance. I know it doesn't because there are other factors but theoretically speaking it should.

But what has car repair value of your car got to do with the possibility of you hitting a £1million Bugatti in your £500 car and causing £700k of damage to it :confused:

Yes good idea.

And what about those who want petrol for lawnmowers or boats etc :confused:

Back