Technical Pulling the wipers

Currently reading:
Technical Pulling the wipers

JumpJet

Established member
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. How exactly do you pull the wiper arms off a '66 500F? My passenger side one is off by a notch (it parks on the weatherstripping) so I want to pull it and clock it properly. I imagine it's a press fit, but am hesitant to put too much force on it until I know for sure. When I have pulled on it, it appears the shaft moves in/out a bit.

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping you guys can help me out. How exactly do you pull the wiper arms off a '66 500F? My passenger side one is off by a notch (it parks on the weatherstripping) so I want to pull it and clock it properly. I imagine it's a press fit, but am hesitant to put too much force on it until I know for sure. When I have pulled on it, it appears the shaft moves in/out a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Hi JJ, I have a 67 F so mine should be the same (I hope) if you see the attached pics (one in shadow one illuminated) note the small tab under the arm of the wiper close to the splined shaft. This must be lifted or prised away from the shaft before you can pull the arm off, a thin screwdriver will do the trick. Don't apply too much pressure as damage can be caused. Normally the arm should just slide off - good luck. (y)(y)
Ian.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
BK,
Thank you!

While the driver's side Magnetti arm has the tabs, the passenger side "Arman & C" one does not... or it had them way back when, but it's been broken off (probably why it's remained clocked wrong). The MM arm came off easily after pulling the tab (and went flying), but it looks like I'll need to find a dental pick to try and get in there to pull, what appears to be a tab away from the shaft on the passenger side.

You can see the difference in the attached pics. I had to get a mirror to figure out the pass. side and I'm not 100% that little section is a tab.

-Matt

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 26
Maybe try tapping that wiper arm onto the spindle and see if the locking tab pops out - the tab looks to me to be possibly bent up and jammed between the bore of the wiper arm and the drive spindle.

Have you tried folding the arm away from the windscreen before trying to pull it off - same as in 'bleeding Knuckles' pics - I seem to remember folding the arm up makes it easier to remove the arm - maybe it allows the locking tab to move out of the way. Also have a look at the arm you are able to remove and see if there is any effect on the locking tab with the wiper arm 'knuckle' folded either way when it's off the car.

Al.

Two years later, I finally got around to this; granted, over a year was in storage, but anyways. In the end, @F123 was correct, the tab was bent under. I took a drill bit and punched it back, but the arm still wouldn't budge. After taking a wrench to pry, it started to budge. Eventually, it gave way and I found out the PO had epoxied the arm to the spindle, rather than replace one or the other. The spindle is knackered a bit, so I'll eventually need to replace it, but that's a project I'm not undertaking until I redo the body

As an interim solution, I drilled a tiny hole and threaded it for a little stainless set screw. That allowed me to clock it properly and cinch it down. A shorter set screw would be invisible, but either way, it'll work for the time being.

And, hi again 👋... it's been awhile, but I had to retire, move, get a job, build a house, and then move everything (including the Fiats) back in and get back in action, but I can focus on fiddling with the Fiats again.

1E74B4A3-6CDC-4397-9820-D9C63CE54023.jpg
2EE9E10E-7AE7-47A2-B2C6-91B5B5001B44.jpg

Two years later, I finally got around to this; granted, over a year was in storage, but anyways. In the end, @F123 was correct, the tab was bent under. I took a drill bit and punched it back, but the arm still wouldn't budge. After taking a wrench to pry, it started to budge. Eventually, it gave way and I found out the PO had epoxied the arm to the spindle, rather than replace one or the other. The spindle is knackered a bit, so I'll eventually need to replace it, but that's a project I'm not undertaking until I redo the body

As an interim solution, I drilled a tiny hole and threaded it for a little stainless set screw. That allowed me to clock it properly and cinch it down. A shorter set screw would be invisible, but either way, it'll work for the time being.

And, hi again 👋... it's been awhile, but I had to retire, move, get a job, build a house, and then move everything (including the Fiats) back in and get back in action, but I can focus on fiddling with the Fiats again.

View attachment 424872View attachment 424873

"Retire"? You're looking good for your age! ;)

Back