Currently reading:
Protecting My Fiat

lukeduran

I hope this is in the right section, I had a catalytic converter and anti-theft plate stolen from my last car, which led to the Fiat 500 I have now.

I would like to protect this one, I did everything possible to protect my last car, and it was still destroyed by theives.

My mechanic says I should install an additional alarm on it, one that protects against theft and vandalism and will alert my phone, if someone is messing with it during the night. I would also like to install some small hidden cameras on it, that will record the activity around it, either on disk or for remote viewing on my phone.

Do any of you know of anything that would handle these issues, either with or without a subscription? The alarm that's on it now, is just the kind that goes off if you sit in your car too long, before you try to open your door.

Thank you!

Hi

I knew a guy with a Harley..

His system used a Mercury switch to sense movement..as the vehicle will be raised for access

The Mercury switch triggered...

A Theatrical Thunderflash

A HUMUNGUS BANG... and quite a lot of smoke ;)

I dont think they would stay around long !!

In the 500 the Cat is up the front of the engine (manicat) its not under the car like a lot of cars, this makes this type of car unatractive to thieves as they want something they can crawl under with a grinder and be away quickly. With a manicat you’ll not get the grinder up in the engine bay, you’d need to get the bonnet open and cut it from the top. And separately cut it from the bottom.

If someone is determined there isn’t a lot you can do to stop them, but the layout of the car is a big deterrent which is why things like the Toyota Prius are a popular target because its very easy to access.

So rest assured your car is already fairly well protected. If there is an optional under engine tray you can fit and you don’t have one, that would make things harder still, and it probably isn’t going to hurt to look at getting an alarm, plenty of alarms now sense movement and maybe get a movement activated dash cam? This is probably all over the top, but at least would keep the car more secure generally.

About using mercury switches, not sure you can buy them anymore, illegal to make and sell due to the toxicity of mercury/environment, but plenty of electronic movement sensors Now and way more sensitive than a mercury switch, the Mercury switch for example may see your theatrics exploding if you parked on a slightly steeper hill than you realised.

Hi

I knew a guy with a Harley..

His system used a Mercury switch to sense mov
Wow, that would be great! It happened in the very early morning, and my mechanic said it had to take at least a couple hours to get all the rivets out, because there were brads all around it. I found a smoldered out cigarette but on my trunk, and two more on the ground. Am so sorry I didn't go outside then, I feel robbed and violated.. 😬

Thank you!

Not sure what's around in the USA

But over here lots of people fit auto watch ghost alarm imboliser systems that apperntly work very well
Thank you, I'll look it up and see what I can find here in the States!

Hidden GPS tracker with SIM card to txt

Camera up to you but spending hour reviewing footage gets tiresome very quickly
Thank you, I was looking for a hidden dash cam with motion detector, someone keeps hiding nails in my tread too. I do plan on installing a tracker as well. I appreciate it!

In the 500 the Cat is up the front of the engine (manicat) its not under the car like a lot of cars, this makes this type of car unatractive to thieves as they want something they can crawl under with a grinder and be away quickly. With a manicat you’ll not get the grinder up in the engine bay, you’d need to get the bonnet open and cut it from the top. And separately cut it from the bottom.

If someone is determined there isn’t a lot you can do to stop them, but the layout of the car is a big deterrent which is why things like the Toyota Prius are a popular target because its very easy to access.

So rest assured your car is already fairly well protected. If there is an optional under engine tray you can fit and you don’t have one, that would make things harder still, and it probably isn’t going to hurt to look at getting an alarm, plenty of alarms now sense movement and maybe get a movement activated dash cam? This is probably all over the top, but at least would keep the car more secure generally.

About using mercury switches, not sure you can buy them anymore, illegal to make and sell due to the toxicity of mercury/environment, but plenty of electronic movement sensors Now and way more sensitive than a mercury switch, the Mercury switch for example may see your theatrics exploding if you parked on a slightly steeper hill than you realised.
That's wonderful news, my old car was a Prius, it was a Gen 1. We just got another one though, a Gen 2 to more directly replace that one, so this is all good to know. Thank you!

Wow, that would be great! It happened in the very early morning, and my mechanic said it had to take at least a couple hours to get all the rivets out, because there were brads all around it. I found a smoldered out cigarette but on my trunk, and two more on the ground. Am so sorry I didn't go outside then, I feel robbed and violated.. 😬

Thank you!

Aren't you allowed to shoot people in the US? Just camp out with a scoped rifle.. :D

Ralf S.

Back